PDA

View Full Version : opinions on edged weapons?

seaninmich
10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.reactgear.com/KA-BAR-ZK-Zombie-Killer-Series-Knives-s/216.htm?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=FB&utm_campaign=ZKN

As much as firearms like the Mini-G and Mini-G Zombie edition will be essential to survival during the zombie apocalypse, I think there is a very large need for edged weapons.

After seeing what's his face chooping parts off in Book Of Eli and seeing the church seen on last night's episode of Walking Dead, I have no doubt that I need to have something.

I was leaning toward something in the samurai sword family, you know, because samurai are sweet.

Any other or better suggestions?

DISCLAIMER - if they are the ultra fast movers, any confrontation that brings them within edged combat range is not likely to end well for you.

Schriv
10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not all that keen on using any edged weaponry that will put me close enough to a zombie to get any 'splashback' or blood splatter on me!!
But if you just have to do it..I'm thinking a Katana is definitely the way to go. Or a good pike!!

seaninmich
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
depends on how the virus is carried/transmitted. Remember 28 days later? you get some of that blood in your mouth, nose, eye, etc and YOU ARE FUBAR!

canes7
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
depends on how the virus is carried/transmitted. Remember 28 days later? you get some of that blood in your mouth, nose, eye, etc and YOU ARE FUBAR!

I was thinking about that during last nights Walking Dead episode when the kid found that whole stash of edged weapons. I guess my logic would be that I'd like to have one as a backup for those annoying times when ammo runs out, as long as it's not too heavy or gets in the way of well placed headshots.

Cal30M1
10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
I believe that the trusty machete is the recommended blade for this type of duty.

Sharpened to a keen edge it will take a head clean off shoulders with minimum effort.

Haitians have used them to great effect as well as the Tutsi's and the Hutu's and even our mexican friends from down south have been known to open up a can of whoop a$$ with the lowly machete.

It is lightweight and flexible. Knife blades tend to be heavier more rigid and brittle even.

Agree that ultra fast movers would make the use of a blade futile.

Best to use rule # 1 of Zombie survival. Cardio! Run MoFo!

Ultra fast movers will never get winded so your only hope is to try to get some distance between you and then use firearms to take him out.

Either that or assume the fetal position and kiss your a$$ goodbye.

Big Ben
10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Gotta go with Cal on the machete, somewhat compact, yet long enough for arms length cranial aeration.

Orlando
10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Either that or assume the fetal position and kiss your a$$ goodbye.

Thats my plan of action :)

Cal30M1
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
The machete is what was recommended in the Zombie Survival Guide my son has/had. He can't find it now.

Whatsamatter Orlando? Don't wanna die tired? :D

axemurderer
10-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Well this is what I would use!!!!!

Mike

howie
10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
+1 on the machete. They're cheap. I like my Ka Bar for the close-in stuff.....you know, the stealthy, bury-my-blade-into-the-back-of-your-head-from-behind move, like the freeway scene on Walking Dead. What might be really cool is a circular saw blade mounted on the end of a weed eater. You'd probably have to be wearing a wet suit to avoid the gore splatter, but I'm thinking you could really rack up a lot of zombie kills quick.

Punch The Clown
10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
The machete is what was recommended in the Zombie Survival Guide my son has/had. He can't find it now.

My Daughter just bought me a Zombie tee shirt. #1 is cut off their head, #2 is never split up and #3 is don't use fire? I'm confused. Have things changed since Zombieland?

Cal30M1
10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Go here to download the original Max Brooks book.

http://ia700500.us.archive.org/8/items/ZombieSurvivalGuideInternetDistributable/

Go here to download the reader.

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/pc.aspx

Many movies since this book have changed the rules of engagement and method of reanimation etc. So much so that it is hard to know exactly what the Zombie Apocalypse will look like.

I think of this as the definitive Zombie book but there may be newer strains of Zombie Viruses besides the Solanum virus.

CB radios will be imperative to spread facts about the nature of the infection.

Of course many lives will be lost listening to bad intel so only take advise from known and trusted sources.

Head shots seem to be universal regardless of the virus type.

howie
10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
And my wife thought I was nuts for putting a CB in my truck. Well, actually, my wife thinks I'm nuts for lots of reasons, but that's one of them.

Big Ben
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
People still use CB's? Got a bunch of 'em in the garage.
Made the move over to Amateur years ago.
Guess I'm covered as far as communication goes.

redheep
10-19-2011, 07:49 PM
I've been trained to use a bayonet, so I'm sticking with that. When the bullets run out, it will be slashes and buttstrokes.

Everybody wants to get a sword and be a pirate, arrrrgh :D

TheHammer
10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
What was the blade the sherrif charged the zombie at the church in "Walkind Dead" last sunday, that looked like it would do a nice job. I'd love to have a big Busse knife but not on this budget, least wise not until my gunlist is filled.

axemurderer
10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I already have a sword and train other people in it's use. I however have never wanted to be a pirate. I have no bayonet training( USAF vet ) but I do have Medieval spear traing so I guess That will work for the stand off weapon....

I've been trained to use a bayonet, so I'm sticking with that. When the bullets run out, it will be slashes and buttstrokes.

Everybody wants to get a sword and be a pirate, arrrrgh :D

deputy85
11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
as long as i dont go thru about 35k rds of rifle and pistol of various calibers i wont need to fall back on a machete,

loboft
12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
$swords$ Check out the Down Under Knives Outback Bowie. They also make high quality throwing knives. The bowie has an 11 inch blade, and is an almost identical copy of the Crocodile Dundee knife. Razer sharp out of the box. Be sure to look at the video clips linked by the knives... http://www.downunderknives.com/ . Be sure to Google the knife, as prices vary widely. You can get the bowie on Amazon for around 183 bucks, much less than the company's price.

paid4c4
12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Sean, I like the survival Randall Made Knife attached to their 6ft stainless steel walking stick. Gives you a razor sharp blade with 6 feet of room between you and the Zombies. http://www.randallknives.com/
Bill

jjones
12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
You are running out of time, buy ammo now. My training has always been if you end up close enough to use a knife, you screwed up somewhere. I know stuff happens, but buy as much ammo as you can, and find some friends that have more than you do. If all else fails, I don't think the kind of knife matters, as long as you know how to use what you have.

KnickKnack
12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna go with the machete here. It's strong and can be used to slash brush and cut firewood. Seems to do the job nicely on the Walking Dead.

Was it just me, or did anyone else think that the Doc's daughter was hot?

jjones
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
She was the only chick on the show that was hot.

RuggedTerrain40
01-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Piano wire. Make a garrote with it. Get somebody around with the neck, pull tight and their head comes off like slicing thru cheese. That is how my Dad was trained in the Army back in the late sixties when it was still hard. They swore by it, he told me.

Eric

cuppednlocked
01-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Piano wire. Make a garrote with it. Get somebody around with the neck, pull tight and their head comes off like slicing thru cheese. That is how my Dad was trained in the Army back in the late sixties when it was still hard. They swore by it, he told me.

Eric

Yup, piano wire is listed in all the Field Manuals. I just can never remember what length was issued.

TheHammer
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm chiming in on the girl, she was hot. As for edged weapons, I say the bigger the better.

loboft
01-18-2012, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLOQoVBOqA I own this, and it would be my choice. But like it has been said earlier, if they are close enough to cut or slash, they are close enough to shoot in the ear.... In my 20 years in the Army, we did not expect to use a blade until we ran outta bullets. You don't have to run fast, you just have to be faster than the guy next to you. ;)

dogboysdad
01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Is a chainsaw considered an "edged weapon"?

HerkFE
01-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Is a chainsaw considered an "edged weapon"?

Probably in California...

I think I would keep a machete strapped to me, but it would be my last resort, out of ammo, weapon.