View Full Version : Need Help: Pierced Primers

Orlando
10-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Going through some of my brass and found a few pierced primers. Ammo is Factory Hornady 75gr Match .223
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture429.jpg
I checked the firing pin and under a magnifiying glass I can see a very small chip or imperfection.
Is the chip the result of the ammo or the pierced primer the result of the firing pin
Heres a pic of the pin
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture431.jpg

What you guys think??

canes7
10-19-2011, 12:24 PM
More info needed.... If you have shot this ammo before w/o problems I'd say look for a carbon ring built up in the throat. If it's a new batch of ammo that previously worked, then maybe Hornady upped the pressure a bit.

Orlando
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I have fired 400 rds of this ammo without incident.
This is a different lot number than previous. Is this something to be concerned about, should I contact Hornady?
I dont have a bore scope but barrel is stainless steel and always cleans up easily with only a few patches. Round count on rifle is around 800
Do the primer strikes look alittle deep to you?
I just ordered another firing pin so will see what happens next trip to range

canes7
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I does look as if there is a "nipple" in the middle of the pin strike. I've never seen that before.

I mention the carbon ring because many guys with SS barrels have had this happen to them. All of a sudden they'll be popping primers like crazy with no changes to rifle or ammo. Upon inspection with a borescope they'll find a carbon ring just in front of the chamber. You can usually get rid of the carbon ring with JB bore paste.

Once you pop a primer like that usually they'll be some deposits on the tip of the firing pin causing more trouble. So it is a 2 part fix, new pin and JB the bore..

Orlando
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I have JB Bore paste, I'll give it a try. Any recommendations on using the paste to get rid of the ring?
I think the dimple is from the pit on the firing pin

canes7
10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Run a dry patch thru to clean up and big chunks (ignore if already clean). Rub the paste into a patch then wrap the patch around a brush. 3-4 swipes should knock it out. I only push a patch/brush one direction (breech to muzzle). After that I dry patch until reasonably clean. Next I'll take some Sweets (or any other quality copper cleaner) and wet the bore down with that. Let sit for 5 min. Dry patch until reasonable clean. Then a wet patch with CLP. Dry patches until clean.

It takes a bit but I've been able to remove a lot of shit with this method.

Orlando
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I'll give the bore paste a try, I have used it on neglected surplus barrels but never used it on cleaning the carbon ring specifically.
I just used copper remover on the barrel after the last trip to the range and had zero blue on the patches which surprised me

canes7
10-19-2011, 02:16 PM
You may be surprised what comes out after JB'ing your barrel....

Orlando
10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Just got done with the bore paste and really wasnt that bad. I followed up again with copper remover and had zero blue on patches.
I have never had a barrel so easy to clean. Probably becuase of lapped barrel?
I guess once new firing pin arrives that will tell the story.
Thanks for your help , will update later

canes7
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Did the patch with the JB on it come out red or black?

Orlando
10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
My JB Bore paste is brown, the patches came out dark but not as dark black as I have seen before

Sea3006
10-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Definitely contact Hornady. May not be an ammo issue but you never know. . .

Orlando
10-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I did contact Hornady and they had no other reported problems with that lot#. I have replaced the firing pin but havent been back to the range yet to try it out

canes7
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Let us know how it turns out.

Orlando
10-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Went to the range today with a new firing pin , fired 60 rds and so far so good.
They are working at pouring concrete around the benches and right now is a muddy mess with all the rain we have had. Also are finishing up a new 300 yard range which will be nice
Best group of the day was 5 rds 5/8 inch
Armalite AR15 Match 24 inch SS Barrel
Hornady .223 75gr Match
Front rest ,rear bag
100yds
Weaver 4x20x50 scope

canes7
10-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a winner. Sub MOA is a testament to the quality of the marksman and his equipment.

Orlando
10-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Oh ya, I forgot it never happened if there arent pictures :)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/fa084-1.jpg
I really have to start reloading, I'm sure this rifle would really shine with handloads

canes7
10-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh ya, I forgot it never happened if there arent pictures :)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/fa084-1.jpg
I really have to start reloading, I'm sure this rifle would really shine with handloads

Reloading will help your wallet shine too. You'll pay 25-30% of what you are paying for factory ammo, and get better ammo to boot. My first 2 years of reloading I spent about $1k each year on equipment. Each year I recovered that in money saved on ammo. It's all gravy now....