PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunting

howie
10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
'Tis the season once again here in Illinois. The weather hasn't been cooperating, as the first two weeks saw highs in the mid 80's. It's cooled off considerably but it's been too windy the last couple days. Hopefully I'll be back out Friday.

I am a newbie to the sport, my son and I just started last year. We didn't kill anything then, but had a blast just sitting in stands and blinds. We're hunting a 37 acre patch at my little brother's place, mixed timber and open fields, native grasses, right on the bluff of a river. There's lots of sign, lots of food. We'll see what happens.

Since I'm a newbie I was wondering if any of you more seasoned and skilled archers would be willing to part with any tips/lessons you've learned over the years, in hopes that between the two of us we might have to buy a bigger freezer. I would love to hear any advice you would be willing to share. Now, I'll just sit back and watch.....

cuppednlocked
10-19-2011, 11:26 PM
The only thing I can really tell you is to control your scent, and to try and prevent the deer from patterning you. Enter/exit the stands from different directions.

Colter44
10-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Try to get in the stand an hour before day break, it gives the woods time to settle down after you have tracked in and stirred everything up. Try hunting all day, specially during rut. There have been a lot of bucks taken during the off time, between 10 and 2. Deer will pick up on your patterns just as you pick up on theirs, change it up every now and then. Most importantly, enjoy the woods and the hunt with your son as often as you can!

timshufflin
10-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I will fly in the face of every person who has ever hunted deer so here I go.

1. You must hunt where there IS deer. You can hunt all day and night but if there aren't deer, have fun with your nappy time.

2. TIF is the only thing that can consistently get deer. Time In Field will kill more deer than any hocus pocus about scent control and patterning.

3. Be able to shoot! TIF will get you a shot in a place where there is deer BUT you have to close the deal. Be able to shoot 40 yards with ease but 60 sure as hell helps. You will have 10 times more shots at 60 yards then at 20 yards. Ignore all the crap about not being able to shoot a bow 60 yards. You can't, unless you do it. I've done it so this, by definition, means anyone can do it.

4. Stay still. Deer are stupid animals but the one thing that will get you busted is movement. You have to move when it matters, while the animal is not looking, but remain a stone if you are not absolutely sure if a deer is in the area.

I have no hocus pocus to offer except baiting if you want a doe or a fawn. If there are crops planted baiting will usually only draw these two. It is a nice way to pop your cherry though. If you are not seeing deer, MOVE your spot. Go where the deer are and hunt them.

I hunted for years in places with no deer thinking I was a dumb ass. I then moved to a place WITH deer and kill them with great frequency, so much so that now I really have to just shoot two year olds or I feel like a peasant.

HAVE FUN.

REHRIFLE
10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
per Tim: 2. TIF is the only thing that can consistently get deer. Time In Field will kill more deer than any hocus pocus about scent control and patterning.
----

Not true Senor. A deer feeder with a timer set to throw corn at specified times will kill more deer. Legal as hell in Texas and used by everybody.

timshufflin
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
per Tim: 2. TIF is the only thing that can consistently get deer. Time In Field will kill more deer than any hocus pocus about scent control and patterning.
----

Not true Senor. A deer feeder with a timer set to throw corn at specified times will kill more deer. Legal as hell in Texas and used by everybody.

Doing this at my home will get you a great big, giant, spotted fawn.