PDA

View Full Version : Removing copper fouling

melloman
10-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I have a Winchester M1 with a copper fouled SA65 barrel. I have cleaned and cleaned this barrel with many Hoppe's soaked patches until they come out clean. Look into the muzzle the next day and the thing is loaded with copper. How do I remove the copper?

Big Ben
10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Sweat's 7.62
Works OK for me.

canes7
10-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Like Big Ben said.. Sweets 7.62 copper cleaner.

smc51
10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
bore tech elimintor with a plastic bristled brush

Prince Humperdink
10-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Sweets works great,along w/ any ammonia based product,just make sure You don't leave it very long.Hoppes is great stuff but is more of an"overnight soak"product because Hoppes does it's work slowly.
Ryan

Punch The Clown
10-22-2011, 04:29 PM
When I was over at Tony G's I tried this aerosol foaming stuff. The patches came out blue. I forget what it was though.

Oh Mr. Wilson
10-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I love the GunSlick Foaming Bore Cleaner
http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/cleaners_degreasers/foamingborecleaner.aspx

They say you can't use it on gas operated guns, well you don't want to get it in the actions because it turns into stick gooey stuff that would gum up the works. I used it on my Mini-G and it cleaned the bore of all the copper. I just pulled the gas cylinder and striped the receiver before using. I think it took three or four applications before it stopped turning blue and the copper was gone. But it was the easiest way I ever removed copper from a barrel, no scrubbing at all.

What really surprised me was how much powder fowling I got after the copper was removed. Apparently there was some powder fowling under the copper, I suspect this was up against the rifling "ledge" for a lack of a better term.

Anyways, give it a try, it works great. And it also loosens lead well. For the first time my Rem 870 slug barrel is spotless. I've scrubbed it with every solvent and brush under the sun and until the barrel would get warm just to give up figuring, "Hey, it's just going to lead up again so the hell with it." I soaked it with the GunSlick, used a Tornado brush and the lead came out in chunks, now it looks like new.

Works for me.

Orlando
10-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Best thing I have forund is Shooters Choice Copper remover.
First clean bore with bore cleaner then wet a patch with SC Copper Remover, run down the bore and let set for 5 minutes. Then run a clean patch down the bore and you will be amazed how much copper comes out on the patch.
I then run another dry patch followed by a pacth wet with water followed by a couple dry. Then lightly oil

musketjon
10-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Outer's Foul Out. You'll only have to do it once. You'll be amazed at the crap that it will get out of a supposedly clean bore. Ask me how I know this.
Jon

melloman
10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.