View Full Version : Question from the CMP forum

mike9905
11-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Someone posted that your magazine conversions have to be returned through an FFL? Same person said the same about the MINI-G (know that's wrong). Wanted to double-check before a reply.

timshufflin
11-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Someone posted that your magazine conversions have to be returned through an FFL? Same person said the same about the MINI-G (know that's wrong). Wanted to double-check before a reply.

They would be wrong. Any conversion to a customers rifle is simply called "gunsmithing". The law, ATFE, does not distinguish between putting a barrel on or doing a receiver mod. A customers rifle can ALWAYS be returned to them, the customer.

Shug
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
That's true for Federal law, but there is always state weirdness to deal with. Maryland has it's "Assault Weapons List", which names a few particular "bad" guns that require extra paperwork hurdles to obtain possession and to xfer, and upon which monthly purchase limits are imposed. See #37 at http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U%3d&tabid=429&mid=1074
and http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2010/95oag101.pdf
Under that law, it's uncertain whether a mag-modified Garand would be considered a Garand, and therefore a "good" gun, or would be considered a BM-59 copy, which is specifically listed in the statue as a "bad" gun. It's also not defined whether receiving a rifle that has been modified from a non-regulated firearm into a regulated firearm by a gunsmith is considered "taking possession of a regulated firearm". It could be worse; at least I don't live in NJ or California.

timshufflin
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
That's true for Federal law, but there is always state weirdness to deal with. Maryland has it's "Assault Weapons List", which names a few particular "bad" guns that require extra paperwork hurdles to obtain possession and to xfer, and upon which monthly purchase limits are imposed. See #37 at http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U%3d&tabid=429&mid=1074
and http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2010/95oag101.pdf
Under that law, it's uncertain whether a mag-modified Garand would be considered a Garand, and therefore a "good" gun, or would be considered a BM-59 copy, which is specifically listed in the statue as a "bad" gun. It's also not defined whether receiving a rifle that has been modified from a non-regulated firearm into a regulated firearm by a gunsmith is considered "taking possession of a regulated firearm". It could be worse; at least I don't live in NJ or California.

Frankly, state law means nothing to me. I live in MI so I have to go by federal law first and then MI law. Even the CA DOJ FFL check law, what's the use of following it? I'm not going to visit CA EVER so why bother? Don't get me wrong, I follow CA law but really, why should I?

I have sold modified Garands to Prosecuting attorney's in NJ. I don't supply the mags but I do do the guns.

When it comes to mods, it is up to the customer to know their own laws.

I know of NO state that a person would have to have their own rifle returned through and FFL.

Shug
11-09-2011, 10:44 PM
"When it comes to mods, it is up to the customer to know their own laws"

I agree wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out to the original poster that exact same thing and got a bit too wordy.

timshufflin
11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
"When it comes to mods, it is up to the customer to know their own laws"

I agree wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out to the original poster that exact same thing and got a bit too wordy.

But, I can think of NO situation where an FFL would have to be involved to receive your own rifle. A mod being legal or not is one thing but a rifle having to go through an FFL when you already own it is quite another.

If you get your rifle modified to be full auto it does not help anyone one bit for the rifle to be returned through an FFL and there is no law to such, either to your home or to an FFL, the law is still being broken.