PDA

View Full Version : Who installs M1A barrels?

Prince Humperdink
11-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Guys,
I have a Receiver coming next week(hopefully)for My M1A parts kit,and will need to have My barrel twisted on.Who does this service as I have done several garand barrels,but I'm not ready to try an M1A.Thanks,
Ryan

Orlando
11-13-2011, 02:58 PM
No different than the Garand as far as I know. If you have done them I wouldnt think you would have any problems with the M1A.
Whats Shuff have to say about it?

Prince Humperdink
11-13-2011, 03:02 PM
No different than the Garand as far as I know. If you have done them I wouldnt think you would have any problems with the M1A.
Whats Shuff have to say about it?
I don't know what Shuff says.I looked at the Masters site and There is no mention of M1A.The thing that scares Me is that I install barrels like a Bubba boy would,with wood blocks and the garand barrell has the grooves that dig in and the M1A doesn't.Perhaps I could just screw it on and gorilla glue it? ;)

Orlando
11-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I have a CMP Garand barrel vice you can borrow but dont know if you could make it work on the M1A barrel or not

timshufflin
11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I do as long as the barrel is not chrome lined.

Prince Humperdink
11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I do as long as the barrel is not chrome lined.

Tim,this is kind of stupid on My part,but how do You tell?This was a pulled barrel and looks brand new,but has a TE of 1,so I know it is not short chambered.
Ryan

Orlando
11-13-2011, 04:11 PM
If its USGI barrel its chrome lined.
Since its used all it should need is installed
Tim, to headspace NOS USGI chrome barrels arent they so close you just lap the bolt lugs?

Prince Humperdink
11-13-2011, 04:16 PM
I was told it is a Mossberg(SAI)barrel so that would be commercial.It has NO markings whatsoever.

timshufflin
11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
If its USGI barrel its chrome lined.
Since its used all it should need is installed
Tim, to headspace NOS USGI chrome barrels arent they so close you just lap the bolt lugs?

Correct, most of the time.

mikebaker1129
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
It should have some markings on it , SA inc .308 and Geneseo on it somewhere. I believe SA inc spins their barrels in house from Wilson blanks. It should be a good barrel . You can always try a different bolt if it does not.TRW tend to be on the longer side.

Tim you afraid if you install a chrome lined barrel on an M1A you will get scoulded by a self proclaimed M14 guru/profit?

Prince Humperdink
12-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Mike,I did find the SAI markings on it,just very faint.
Ryan