PDA

View Full Version : M1A1 Repair Help

captain_bob_badfish
11-13-2011, 07:23 PM
I recently got an original 1st run M1A1 stock in trade but it had a crack in the right side of the stock near the magwell that the seller didn't notice before sending it.

Is there anyone around here that knows of a qualified repair person that might be able to fix said crack and what would be an approx. price for said repairs? I haven't heard back from the original owner so I'm not sure how he wants to handle it. Just looking for options. I am just sick to my stomach over this.

First two photos he supplied.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/rifles/6329267875_c310960f02_b.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/rifles/6329276679_5ce0a8a26b_b.jpg

Crack is very faint
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/rifles/crack.jpg

When placed in the action with the barrel band tightened it became very apparent.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/rifles/crack1.jpg

timshufflin
11-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Perhaps contact Rick Borecky? He may even be willing to expedite such an order for a fellow BT brethern? Rick, could you help a brother out? I think it would be darn cool to see what you can do with such a drastic break. I look at that break and don't see much hope except for a simple end to end gluing with tite bond. Maybe a pin going in from the top as well?

Edit, the break looks like one caused in shipping.

captain_bob_badfish
11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
It's really a shame he didn't insure it.

timshufflin
11-13-2011, 07:52 PM
It's really a shame he didn't insure it.

Rookie mistake man. I insure everything that goes out of here. You never need that insurance until you need that insurance.

melloman
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I call shenanigans - looks like the crack was already there. Take a closer look at the photo that the seller provided. Of course, I could be wrong. Was the shipping box damaged?

I would look into the crack for evidence of stain, finish or signs of a previous attempted repair. I have had great success using thin viscosity CA glue (super glue), but have never had to attempt a repair on a crack across the stock like that one.

timshufflin
11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I call shenanigans - looks like the crack was already there. Take a closer look at the photo that the seller provided. Of course, I could be wrong. Was the shipping box damaged?

I would look into the crack for evidence of stain, finish or signs of a previous attempted repair. I have had great success using thin viscosity CA glue (super glue), but have never had to attempt a repair on a crack across the stock like that one.

I think though that the seller only provided the first two photo's melloman. The other photos, I think, are ones the OP took.

melloman
11-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Precisely. Look really closely at the second photo showing the right side of the stock...

timshufflin
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't know, I have too much belief in people to think the guy would have scammed from the get go. Either way, he should have insured it.

captain_bob_badfish
11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
I really don't think he was trying to scam me. If he was good at scamming I think he would have at least insured the stock.

captain_bob_badfish
11-13-2011, 09:54 PM
I just got off the phone with the seller. It's going back to him tomorrow. Seriously bummed out. I've been waiting for the right one for nearly 15 years. Looks like I'll just have to wait longer.

Rick B
11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
You can clearly see darkness in the crack with some fresh wood showing through up top only. He may not of noticed it and you were the quick sale to something he picked up not long ago for a turn over purpose. Allot of people do not pay attention to details believe it or not.. I could repair it if not for aesthetics at least. Without hands on I cannot tell if it could be good enough for shooting. Rick B

Rick B
11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
One other note, it is clearly a cut down highwood. Rick B

timshufflin
11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I just got off the phone with the seller. It's going back to him tomorrow. Seriously bummed out. I've been waiting for the right one for nearly 15 years. Looks like I'll just have to wait longer.

Sorry to hear you'll be prolonging the wait bro. I wish you luck.

captain_bob_badfish
11-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Thanks Tim and everyone chipping in to try and help.
I shipped it back to the seller so hopefully it will be resolved shortly.

Cal30M1
11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Tough break Bob Bad.

Time to drag that cheap repro behind your truck for awhile and soak it in used motor oil for that "been there done that" look.

It would certainly be cheaper!

Why didn't you mortgage your house for a CMP trooper?

captain_bob_badfish
11-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Tough break Bob Bad.

Time to drag that cheap repro behind your truck for awhile and soak it in used motor oil for that "been there done that" look.

I thought about that but I went and had it signed by Sgt., Don Malarkey of Easy Company, 506th PIR.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/Malarkey/me-n-malark.jpg