PDA

View Full Version : Op rod spring problem?

KnickKnack
11-25-2011, 08:01 PM
My son and I went to the range today with our new HRA's. His functioned flawlessly. I had about a dozen misfires. Examing the primers, it appears that they were not struck hard enough, and my son said it looked like my bolt was not fully forward until I pulled the trigger. Is this the sign of a weak op rod spring?:confused:

Orlando
11-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Before going to the range the first time you need to completely strip the rifle down to the smallest parts, clean and grease. (including bolt)
Spring should be between 19 - 20 1/4 inches long with no kinks or bends
Personaly I just change out my Op Rod springs on every Garand I buy no matter what the springs look like

KnickKnack
11-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Yup, broke it all down last night and cleaned the gunk out of every nook and cranny. And there was a lot of gunk. Lubed it where the manual said to. I didn't measure the spring, but I will do that next. Where's the best place to get a replacement spring?

Orlando
11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
In my opion Orion 7 springs
New commercial stock or USGI??
Grease points: http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1GarandRifleGreasePoints.pdf

KnickKnack
11-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Orlando, I lubed it just as the diagrams show. Thanks for the link, though. The exploded views are easier to see on my tired eyes. :)

I'm gonna take the Garand all apart again today, clean it again, lube it again, measure the spring and see if it runs better tomorrow. I think I'll just go ahead and order new springs anyway. It certainly can't hurt and I like your idea of putting new springs in each rifle when you buy them.

musketjon
11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
+1 on new springs. It's cheap insurance.
Jon

KnickKnack
11-27-2011, 04:42 PM
+1 on new springs. It's cheap insurance.
Jon

Yeah, you're right. I should have thought of buying new ones right away. Orion7 has them cheap enough, so I'm sending out an order. Thanks, guys! :)