PDA

View Full Version : Bad Brass and Misfires

KnickKnack
11-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Going thru the loose HXP I got at CMP, I've come up with a very few rounds that have some slight corrision on the brass. Not sure I should fire it, but what do I do with it? What's the safest way to dispose of it?

Also, since my rifle has a weak op rod spring and my bolt didn't go into battery a few times, I have those rounds with a dent in the primer that didn't fire. Is it ok to try to fire them again, or should I also dispose of them?

I've never had to deal with either of these problems before, since I've always used new ammo and if I had a misfire in the carbines, the bolt wasn't far enough forward for the firing pin to hit the primer, so I'd just rechamber the round and all worked fine.

Sorry for all the noob Garand questions, but I really am a carbine guy! Although, except for the sore shoulder, I'm beginning to like the Garand a little more. :)

Orlando
11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
If rounds are corroded/pitted I would not fire then. If its just discolored and not pitted and looks good fire away
The primers with dents load them and fire away

The Garand Guy
11-27-2011, 06:04 PM
One of the causes of misfires is a too short firing pin. It should be checked with a firing pin protrusion gauge. If it does not extend fully, some debris may be stuck in the bolt. You should disassemble the bolt, clean the firing pin chamber, (blow it out with compressed air if possible), & re-insert the pin. It may also make a small ding on the primer if the bolt is not fully seated.
If you send me your bolt, + return postage, I will gauge it for you gratis.

KnickKnack
11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks, guys! The rounds are only discolored, with a hint of corrosion but no pitting. I just didn't want to fire them until I got advise from you guys.

Garand Guy, it appeared that my bolt was not going into battery sometimes. When that happened, I'd pull the trigger, nothing fired, but my son said the bolt seated forward. The primers have a tiny dent, so I guess the firing pin struck the round just before the bolt closed and not hard enough to fire the round. I did not disassemble the bolt yet, so I will do that next. I'm ordering new op rod springs too, so I'll see how it works the next time at the range. If I'm still having the same problem, I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks! :)