PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Ducks (late post)

cuppednlocked
11-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Had a permit hunt in a state managed impoundment. In our group of 3 only my buddy John aka Al Jolsen and I could make the trip.

The birds that were around didn't want our spot and worked a big raft of coots nearby. We managed 9 (picked up 8, knocked one down that we could never catch up with).

Here are my 6:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/cuppednlocked/IMAG0191.jpg

My buddy John aka "Al Jolsen":

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/cuppednlocked/IMAG0190.jpg

Prince Humperdink
11-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Excellent!I love pintails for some reason?!

cuppednlocked
11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Sprigs used to be a sure thing, but they've been difficult to get the last few years. The early push of teal had left but the pintails seemed to stay around. I think they are a beautiful bird myself. Neither had much of a sprig which wasn't surprising.

I won't be getting back to the coast until our third split starts on Dec 17th. Reports say not many puddle ducks in the sound but that should change in the next week. We usually get a push early and the bigger push during the season split.

rlelvis
11-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Lookin good. I am with Ryan, I love the pintails. Of course that could be that I have not shot one up here for several years.

Good shootin.

cuppednlocked
11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Why don't you guys head this way and I'll see if I can put you on a pintail???

timshufflin
11-30-2011, 11:03 PM
I LOVE this stuff! Great to see the photos bro!

cuppednlocked
12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
If I didn't have the little one now I would be doing a lot more hunting... trying to fit it in whenever I can. Unfortunately the birds have virtually disappeared here with the warm temps and southerly winds. Maybe after Christmas.

If any BT brethren plan on being on NC the week after New Year's let me know and we'll try to get together and shoot a duck (or two).

deputy85
12-01-2011, 10:51 PM
ought to be a zillion of them here in the maragazene wildlife area, ive seen countless huge flocks of geese and ducks flying over headed south, the wildlife/hunting area is about 75 miles due south of me,,,

Prince Humperdink
12-01-2011, 11:02 PM
All of My spots are now frozen...Our season goes until January,but I have no idea where I'd find any now.

cuppednlocked
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Ryan,

I'm not even sure what "frozen" means. It's been a warm one so far. I bet we're in for a deep cold spell soon. I love the coast when the salt water freezes against the shore after a nor'easter!