PDA

View Full Version : "New"M1A barrel is junk.

Prince Humperdink
11-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I got My headpace gages and tested the Rifle I have been shooting...It flunked "harder"than Tom Selleck WAS in the magnum Years!I had to add several pieces of tape on the Field gage to stop the bolt,so it was a good thing I custom loaded each round to the chamber before I went out!

Barrel over indexed with hand tightening originally,,so I had to peen the shoulder for proper crush and according to My eye and laser level it is indexed correctly..Crap,now I have to save for another barrel :( I do not fear My reloads,I just want to be able to shoot factory loads whenever.
Ryan

Schriv
11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Any chance of getting the barrel to someone with a lathe that can take a little off the face??

seaninmich
11-30-2011, 04:30 PM
..It flunked harder than Tom Selleck in the magnum Years!
Ryan

I'll give you jut one chance to take that back and beg forgiveness.

Prince Humperdink
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I'll give you jut one chance to take that back and beg forgiveness.

Sean,Please forgive My comment about Tom Selleck having a hard body,I was just giving credit to My Twin.You are still #1....please forgive!

timshufflin
11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Sean,Please forgive My comment about Tom Selleck having a hard body,I was just giving credit to My Twin.You are still #1....please forgive!

I didn't see a lot of begging in this.

seaninmich
11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
credit? sure sounds to me like you were suggesting that the Magnum years were a failure

Prince Humperdink
11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
credit? sure sounds to me like you were suggesting that the Magnum years were a failure

No,I was a magnum addict as a Kid.I would still watch if I could,but not on My basic cable channels...I just"mis-spoke",My comment was supposed to insinuate that Tom selleck was sexy(but not in a Gay way).

I fixed it,is that better My mildly Homo Friend?

seaninmich
11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
aahhh....you were referring to Tom's hardness and not his "flunking". that is much better. Thank you for the clarification.

BTW, what's wrong with thinking of Tom Selleck in a gay way? who hasn't? If I had a nickel for every time I thought of Tom Selleck when I had my wife on all fours...

timshufflin
11-30-2011, 06:48 PM
No,I was a magnum addict as a Kid.I would still watch if I could,but not on My basic cable channels...I just"mis-spoke",My comment was supposed to insinuate that Tom selleck was sexy(but not in a Gay way).

I fixed it,is that better My mildly Homo Friend?

Wow, now there's something wrong with being mildly homo :(

Punch The Clown
12-01-2011, 12:07 AM
OK, common for M14 go past TDC which is why Shuff , myself and Tony G -it was actually his design-have a tool to fix that problem. No peening necessary. AFAIK, all M14 barrels are chrome lined and the chamber can't be reamed, unless some bozo did it before you got it. I would start checking elsewhere for the problem. Also keep in mind that NATO field is .007 or .008 more than SAAMI, so you may be able to shoot 7.62. Anyway, I'd check the bolt. Stu

Punch The Clown
12-01-2011, 12:14 AM
I got My headpace gages and tested the Rifle I have been shooting...It flunked "harder"than Tom Selleck WAS in the magnum Years!I had to add several pieces of tape on the Field gage to stop the bolt,so it was a good thing I custom loaded each round to the chamber before I went out!

Barrel over indexed with hand tightening originally,,so I had to peen the shoulder for proper crush and according to My eye and laser level it is indexed correctly..Crap,now I have to save for another barrel :( I do not fear My reloads,I just want to be able to shoot factory loads whenever.
Ryan

Handloads won't make up for an un-supported case rim. Shoot 7.62 brass as it is much thicker.

Punch The Clown
12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Soooooooo, you might not have any problem here at all.

Punch The Clown
12-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Okay, Gus Fisher talking now.

"For the 7.62mm: GO gage is 1.634" (the same as NO GO for the .308 Win.). NO GO is 1.638" (the same as the Field Reject for the .308 Win.). You will probably never find either spec. in military manuals, as they only list the Field Reject. The Field Reject is 1.6445". Now folks, that's a WHOPPING .0145", or 14 1/2 thousandths, over the minimum headspace for the .308 Winchester!!! To give you an idea what that means, the ENTIRE range of GO to Field Reject for the .30-06 cartridge is only .010" or TEN thousandths of an inch.
Therefore, even if you think you may have too much headspace in your rifle, you still may fall into the safety range of the 7.62mm cartridge."

Punch The Clown
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
And there's more . If you're using a Chinese or SAI bolt that may be your problem. Also, the bolt may have been lapped before it came to your possession. I'm done.