PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Walther P1 ?

Orlando
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Just got a e-mail from Wideners about a sale on Walther P1's
Anybody have one?
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=700|1012|1027

mixmaster
04-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Orlando
If you get one make sure it has that pin in the frame. This was done because the frames supposedly cracked at the area of the feed ramp. I have one and at the time all the ones on sale with the pin had an issue with pitting in the barrels. As I reload I try to keep the pressures down on my P1. These guns show very little wear so you have to wonder what the police used to practice with.

mixmaster
04-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Forgot to mention SARCO has the WW2 steel frame for $100.00. I might just order one and keep it handy in case I do screw up the frame on my P1 not sure if ALL parts inter change but worth a try. Just a thought.
Mix

Orlando
04-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I doubt I will get one, had to fill my gas tank, just wondered what everyone thought of them

llurpirate
04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I have the P-1 and it shoots fine. Smooth action and pretty accurate. I used cheap steel case and it still didn't miss a beat.

Crazy Horse
05-01-2011, 07:05 AM
I had a P1 a while back and i liked it pretty well, like everything else i ended up trading it off.
Some pretty good prices on that site.
I think the reason they added the pin in the frame was there was an overflow of smg ammo around and it being hotter than the standard 9mm load it started cracking frames. The P38/P1 is a very rugged combat pistol.

lots of info here

www.p38forum.com

Schriv
05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I have a P-38 made in '44 that is one smooth shooting pistol. The cheap, postwar P-1 mags work in it perfectly. I don't think there is 100% parts compatability between the two, but most of the major assemblies should.
When I bought my P-38, I had been looking for a decent P-1 to use for reenactments, but I stumbled into a great deal for a real P-38 for more or less what a P-1 was selling for.

mike9905
05-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I find my P1 to be a good shooting, reliable pistol. In addition to the reinforcing bolt in the frame, I think the slide is thicker than the P38. It may be just my pistol, but the DA trigger seems better than the post war P38 (own one). The P1 barrel has a steel sleeve. Peter Kokalis wrote an article for Shotgun News about the P1 that was pretty tough on the pistol. He said the pistol was designed for a limited (cheap military pistol) service life, maybe 5,000 rounds. P38/P1 are not supposed to feed hollow points. Mine is reliable with 147 grain JHP.

mixmaster
05-10-2011, 11:54 PM
The P1 I now have is not the first. I have never had an issue with ammo, hollow point or what ever,but I did crack a pivot in a Luger and found out the ammo was Canadian and was for Sten MGs only.So I have never taken a chance on using it in a hand gun. Well maybe I will try it in a Ruger 9mm as I don't real care for the size of the thing. Over built for a 9mm I think.
Mix

dogboysdad
05-15-2011, 12:05 AM
My P1 was great. Easy to point and shoot and accurate as all get out. It fed everything I gave it. Traded it off to a buddy. I have several WWII P38s and feel the same about them.

LEAD POISON
05-15-2011, 10:41 AM
The ones for sale at Aim have the pin added. A buddy bought 3.
One is blue,the other 2 are parked.
Dan's ammo shows his do not have the pin update.