PDA

View Full Version : barrel length?

jjones
12-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a rifle with a 20 inch barrel, for coyotes and long range pig killing. I have a rifle with a 16 inch barrel for close up hog killing, and I have an SBR with a 14 inch barrel, for when the zombies come. I have one more lower and upper, and I am thinking of building an 18 inch gun. does anyone have a rifle with an 18 inch barrel? Is the accuracey better than a 16, worse than a 20, the way to go, or a waist of time?

Orlando
12-07-2011, 07:31 AM
I seriously doubt you will see any noticeable accuracy difference

jjones
12-07-2011, 11:50 AM
that is kinda what i am thinking. I might end up just building another 16 inch gun.

mixmaster
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Sir
I too would go with the 16 in I use mine without any real regard to distance as I am using a heavy match barrel and have no problem with accuracy out to 200 yds.At distance past 100 yds I change my bullet weight depending on what I am after. As far as hog and javalina are concerned 100 yds and you will not see the darn things long enough to shoot at them in the brush here,and hog are night shots anyway so distance does not matter just bullet weight and velocity.
Mix

jjones
12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Where do you hunt hogs at mix? I hunt down in Bandera alot. To many hogs down there.

mixmaster
12-08-2011, 12:15 AM
We are close! I had been going to Webb county as I served in Customs there and am familiar with the area. Now I have access to some property in the areas around Bexar county as the problem with feral hogs is growing here. I am going to have to give Bandera a try if I know anyone there.(used to know the sheriff there but he has moved on) Comal county seems to be increasing too. The brush is to thick to get any time to get a shot off in Comal where I have access.
Mix

mixmaster
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
JJ
Are you building your own? I have here in SA but I can't seem to keep them as every one wants one!I build them as they want them as long as they understand I built them as they wanted them.Saves wear on the old system.
Mix

REHRIFLE
12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I used to hunt javelinas down around Alice (I grew up there) years ago. They are harder to hit at a hundred yards that the hogs are. We would have pork tamalies made.

mixmaster
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Webb county was the place to go but now you wander around in the brush and Border Patrol calls Home Land Security and the black choppers get airborne. Takes the fun out of chasing javalina,you might spook an agent!
Mix

jjones
12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Yep sir, I am building my own. I have all the stuff to build and work on AR's, and after 22 years of working on M16's it s the one gun that I know very well. So far, we don't have to worry about border patrol in Bandera. The game warden came out once, but I don't think he liked being around a bunch of rednecks with full auto weapons. I live up in gatesville, and some guys up here just killed a 450 lbs boar.

mixmaster
12-08-2011, 11:06 PM
That is a large hog.It would take about four white tails to equal that weight. Not saying south Texas deer are small but it appears that Gatesville has some HOGS!
Mix

jjones
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
we have quite a few. I have never seen one as big as they killed, and I don't think I want to.

VitSports6
12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm not an AR expert, But, Have you considered different twist rates, I have a couple AR one is a 1/8 TR and the other is a 1/7 TR.
Having a 1/7 TR you can use heavier bullets, It may or may not be beneficial when hunting hogs.

1 in 12", or 1 in 14. Are a slower twist rate. in 12s are good for 35-55 grain, 1 in 14s are good for 35-50 grains, and perhaps up to 55.

1 in 9, or 1 in 10. Versatile; do-it-all. Will work best with leads in the 45-75 grain weights. Ideal for the 55-62 grains you will probably be shooting.

1 in 7 1 in 7 will shoot the heavy leads best up 90 grain, but this is too fast for the lighter leads and will spin them too much.

Just a thought.

mixmaster
12-09-2011, 03:31 PM
My Match barrel is 1 in 9 and I have another 1in14. As I am not looking for match accuracy anymore I leave the 1 in 9 on. At the ranges I am shooting (less than 100 yds) it has worked out just fine with all bullet weight and I use a lot of mil spec ammo anyway. I have not reloaded for these barrels yet but I suppose the day is coming when I will have too.Saving my brass for that day! It is a pain to ream the mil primer pockets out.
Mix

jjones
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I had to get an rcbs swagging tool, makes the primer pockets alot faster. I have decided to go with the 16 inch barrel, and let the kids use it for killing hogs.