PDA

View Full Version : Which One Do I Keep???

dogboysdad
12-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Maybe I should have said, "Which one do I give away?"
I picked up two muzzle loaders for really good prices and I want to give one to my nephew. Which do I give him? Both are .50 cal.
First is a Knight LK-93 with a Bushnell Sportview 1.5-4.5 scope. It's blued in a black synthetic stock. The rifle looks new and bore looks unfired.
Second is a T/C Black Diamond. It sports a Bushnell 3x9 scope. Blued with black synthetic stock, this one has excellent exterior finish with a tiny amount of rust in the grooves of the barrel.
My nephew is 13 and already a die-hard hunter. He has an entry level ML that I gave hime when he passed his hunter safety test two years back. He wanted a scope for it. I couldn't get the scope, rings and bases for what I have into these two MLs.
Which would you give and which would you keep?

Big Ben
12-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Keep the T/C

dogboysdad
12-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Keep the T/C

Why? Inquiring minds want to know.

musketjon
12-25-2011, 02:50 PM
In-line's shouldn't even be considered. If it doesn't have a pan and frizzen, or at least a hammer and cone, it ain't a REAL muzzle loader anyway so what's your point?
Jon

Big Ben
12-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Honestly, I can't speak for the Knight, never had one.
However, I own(ed) a few Thompson's in my day. All shot well, excellent customer service/warranty.
I have a T/C Hawken I've shot thousands of times and it hasn't missed a beat yet.

P.s. Don't listen to Jon about that flintlock thing, percussion is the way to go!

seaninmich
12-25-2011, 10:49 PM
In-line's shouldn't even be considered. If it doesn't have a pan and frizzen, or at least a hammer and cone, it ain't a REAL muzzle loader anyway so what's your point?
Jon

it's loaded from the muzzle. it IS a REAL muzzle loader.

seaninmich
12-25-2011, 10:50 PM
FWIW, I have a T/C black diamond. I don't care for it at all.

musketjon
12-26-2011, 12:44 AM
For us pureists, in-lines aren't any different than a bolt action rifle.
Jon

dogboysdad
12-27-2011, 07:33 AM
FWIW, I have a T/C black diamond. I don't care for it at all.

What don't you like about it?

seaninmich
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
What don't you like about it?

1) it shoots very poorly.

2) i don't like the exposed plunger design. snow, rain, debris, and any manner of crap can get in there while sitting on stand. I prefer rifles that have everything all "inside", like my CVA optima

timshufflin
12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I had a Black Diamond, for about two weeks, I gave it away when I found that after about 5 shots the plunger would freeze and not strike the primer. I'm heavily with Sean on this one.

Hey Jon, you purists mixing your own powder? Casting your own ball? How pure we talking here?

musketjon
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Tim,
Don't mix my own powder (yet) but yes, I do cast my own projectiles (notice I didn't say "balls").
Jon

timshufflin
12-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Jon, I like my balls cast. You're close to being the purists you speak of but you then you can even PURER. How bout a match lock? Wheel lock?

Every generation of technology has the older generation scoffing.

dogboysdad
12-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll let the kid pick, I think.

BIG TWIN
12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Good choice. Let the kid pick. He'll appreciate either of them simply because you got it for him.