PDA

View Full Version : Curio Relic Log In ???

Orlando
12-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I have posted this on the CMP forum and havent gotten anything in black and white
I got alot of opinions but have yet to see anything in writing
If I assemble a Garand from parts do I log it in?
The receiver by itself isnt C&R eligable as it isnt complete. I realize once I would sell it as a complete assembled rifle I would log it out to the buyer
I'm not aurging either way on this just looking for proof. I can actually see arguments for both ways. To many gray areas in ATF rules
Thanks guys

howie
12-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm no expert, but I always thought if you used your C & R to purchase the receiver it had to go in your book. My build that started from a CMP grade B went in my book, just to be safe.

Orlando
12-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm no expert, but I always thought if you used your C & R to purchase the receiver it had to go in your book. My build that started from a CMP grade B went in my book, just to be safe.

Howie,
Per ATF regs, receivers by themselves are not C&r as they are not complete firearms. When purchased they have to go through a type 1 FFL and you do "not "log them in

I know it never hurts to log in to be safe (as far as a complete rifle) but I'm still looking for the "correct" answer

LEAD POISON
12-26-2011, 12:40 PM
That's a funny situation.
I think If you were to be audited,ATF&E would say that's a C&R ???
Some guys on GB are selling Receivers and taking a C&R.Presumably because they dismantled a C&R gun???????
I have bought a few with my C&R.
They go in my book.

Prince Humperdink
12-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Bill,I don't list Them in My bound book,per say,But I have a section(removable)that I keep in the bound book That states"potential C&R Receivers".If I build them up,and sell, I list them as required.

Punch The Clown
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I personally list them as rifles. Receivers are not C&R eligible is stated in sec. 85-10 which deals with importation.

Punch The Clown
12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
And just to add to the confusion

Federal Firearms Act. 15 U.S.C. Chapter 18.
Firearm. Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is
designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the
action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any
firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the
term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed
collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.

jak
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Getting a little off topic here, but do you log your CMP purchases ? You don't need a C&R license to purchase from CMP.
But I log my purchases just to keep my records straight.

Orlando
12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Getting a little off topic here, but do you log your CMP purchases ? You don't need a C&R license to purchase from CMP.
But I log my purchases just to keep my records straight.

All Curio and Relic firearms must be logged in even if you license wasnt used to acquire them.
By a CMP Garand it must be logged, buy a Garand from a unlicensed private individual, it must be logged
All Curio and Relice firearms are to be logged as long as you hold your license

Prince Humperdink
12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
You must log C&R aquisitions ,this goes for pre license owned C&R's IF You dispose of them.

seaninmich
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Guys, to be clear: you never "use" your license to purchase anything. YOU are licensed. Any C&R firearm that you acquire, by any means, must be entered into your log book.

Since a stripped receiver in not considered a C&R, but a complete rifle is, the logical assumption (and it's little more than that) would be that you do NOT enter the stripped receiver into your book UNTIL it is built into a complete firearm. It is at that point that it is built into a complete firearm that you have acquired a new C&R.

Every single C&R firearm that you acquire AFTER the date you became licensed has to be entered into the book. If you are licensed and build up a stripped receiver, you're going to have a new C&R sitting in the rack. Better have it on the books.