PDA

View Full Version : Problems with light strikes on primers

The Garand Guy
01-07-2012, 08:33 PM
As of late, I have found several members who have reported light strikes on some of the primers. I took one & checked the headspace on the bolt, cleaned out the firing pin chamber, & blew it out with compressed air, and then checked the installed firing pin with a USGI firing pin protrusion gauge. The customer took it out , & reported a few occasional light strikes. I took the brass & put a straightedge on the base & found that the primer was recessed more that the rest. This leads me to the conclusion that occasional misfires and light strikes are the fault of the ammo, not the M1.

Has anyone else had this problem? It seems that the Greek & Lake City removed from machine gun belts have occasional misfires.

timshufflin
01-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Never seen it and I hope not to. You see some very odd stuff when you work on these things all the time.

melloman
01-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I have never experienced those problems when firing either LC or HXP, although the LC seems to be lower power compared to HXP. Additionally, I do not know if I have fired any delinked HXP but the LC shows marks on the cases that leads me to believe that it is delinked MG ammo.

jak
01-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I have some delinked HXP 63 and haven't had any problems yet.