View Full Version : Sarco .308 conversion parts sets

Schriv
05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Has anyone bought one of these? I'm thinking of picking up one of the barrel/op-rod/stock combo's for future use, but don't want to waste my time if the parts are shoddy.

Prince Humperdink
05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Do You mean those Italian cut down kits?I was going to purchase one,but was told that they have several problems when used with function,and such.I believe it was because They are cut down parts.This was not Personal experience,but word of mouth from someone Who had purchased one.I wish I could remember Who it was to refer Your question,but alas,I am a moron.

Schriv
05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks. That is pretty much what I had read on other sites over the years. These have been around for quite a while, but I have never seen a picture of one that has been assembled. I'm assuming that is because nobody wants to admit to having bought one!
The more I think about it, I'd be better off just getting a .308 barrel and calling it good.

mixmaster
05-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I have used the kit a number of times and the only problem was it was short chambered. This is not a problem if you have the reamer and the head space gauge. The barrel is a cut down SA and are for all purposes new.I have an idea to buy another as the 06 barrels are almost as much as the kit. I have what I call a "daily user" and it has never let me down works great. The price has gone up but as I have had no trouble with them I will get another when I have the funds.I am hoping the quality has not changed. If you get one please give me an up date on quality. By the way the stocks were all brand new!
Thanks
Mix

mixmaster
05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
As an added thought, The new 308 barrel is also short chambered and will require reamer and head space gauge. If you are unsure of the kit go for the barrel, adjustments may be required for cycling. Check with Shuff on that.
Mix

timshufflin
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Link? Price? What's included?

Schriv
05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Tim,
It's Sarco item no.GRD177.
You get: a .308 converted barrel, shortened Op-Rod, stock and shortened rear handguard for $275.

They also have a full 'kit' that has all of the above with every other part but the receiver for $445.

timshufflin
05-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Interesting Mini-G kit, from my point of view. The only problem is that I'd have to use the shorter stock and rear guard. Bummer.

axemurderer
05-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Tim
I recently bought a BM59E kit, Well really traded for it at Sarco's Jersey store for a 1919A4 kit I had never used. If you used one of these kit, wouldn't there be 1/2 inch more of the barrel sticking out from the gas cylinder? Due to the shorter stock and barrel? I bought it for a my mag fed G project once I save up. I had no intension of using the barrel or stock. I would love to have an all PB Mini-G. except for the mags of course( to dam expensive)

Interesting Mini-G kit, from my point of view. The only problem is that I'd have to use the shorter stock and rear guard. Bummer.

Prince Humperdink
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM

With that shorter stock You could call it the "Eensy Weensy G".

Prince Humperdink
05-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Tom,
Would really love to see a Pic of one of those .308 conversions.Do You have any?
Ryan

mixmaster
05-02-2011, 04:58 PM
The word I got in researching those barrels is that Springfield made them. As they had the tooling set up it took little effort to convert 06 chambered barrels to 308. I think the op rod were made there too but can not confirm. All parts are SA Marked.And barrels are usually 1960 production marked range.The stocks were supposedly over runs from canceled contracts such as Overton who cranked out thousands of them and were stuck with a ton of them when the contract was canceled.All this info was verbally delivered by a very learned source and I do not question the veracity of his knowledge.
Mix

Schriv
05-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Hmmmm...That doesn't sound so bad. I might go ahead and pick one up for use on a future project.

mixmaster
05-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Hmmmm...That doesn't sound so bad. I might go ahead and pick one up for use on a future project.

These barrels are 1/4 shorter than the 06 so you might want the whole kit rather than trying to gather the parts one at a time.My kits went together with no stress on my part once I realized they had short chambers and this came up when I checked the first one for head space.
Mix

mixmaster
05-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Tom,
Would really love to see a Pic of one of those .308 conversions.Do You have any?
Ryan

If I could take pics I would flood the forum! The finished product looks just like the 06 Grand and you can't tell the them apart unless you put them side by side. To keep some one from trying to feed 06 ammo in the 308 I marked the op rod and the sight spring cover with a sexy looking 7.62 NATO and filled it in with white marker. It is only a 1/4 shorter than the Garand.
Mix

axemurderer
05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
MIX

Or you could just do what the Brits did with the Lend Lease 1917's, and just paint a nice red stripe around the butt.

Mike

mixmaster
05-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Good thought Mike! I believe I am for the red stripe, well anyway take it under consideration. As it stands now, if you don't know the Garand you are not using mine to learn. I will help you till you understand it but you don't get to pick it up and play with it as I have seen some do on other than their own firearms.
Mix

Schriv
05-05-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm not to keen on putting external markings on my 'non-06' Garands. On my .308 and the re-weld/blank fire Garand, I installed the GI magazine block to keep a .30-06 clip from being loaded.
If I build another .308, I just do the same thing.
BTW..my welded receiver build went great, and she ran like a top with M1909 blanks. I was soooooo tempted to put some live rounds downrange, but didn't want to risk it right now. Maybe later.....:0)
For my first built from parts gun, I'm really happy with the results. My newest receiver is due to arrive at the gunstore today, so It's time to build another one. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as the first one.