PDA

View Full Version : Ported gas plug

mike9905
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Tim: Any experience with the "Ported Gas Plug" offered by garandgear.com? It was mentioned on the CMP Forum as an alternative to McCann and Schuster adjustables.

timshufflin
05-01-2011, 10:48 PM
No experience at all sir. It is not an alternative to either the McCann or the Schuster in MY opinion. I have to be able to shoot large hunting loads in my rifles and that means venting off gas. The "ported gas plug" does not vent gas and isn't going to help me.

axemurderer
05-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Tim I was looking at that also, I do not need to look anymore.

Orlando
05-02-2011, 03:14 PM
If it doesnt vent gas whats the reasoning behind using it?

mike9905
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Turns out the guy who posted on the CMP Forum also designed and sells this plug. He posted several times, lots of data, but I don't understand how it's supposed to work. If Tim says no that's all I need to hear.

timshufflin
05-04-2011, 01:03 AM
If it doesnt vent gas whats the reasoning behind using it?

Orlando, I don't know if you remember the diddy I posted a while back on how you could back your gas lock out one turn and get your Garand to cycle when it might otherwise not. Stu and I have seen this phenomena many times on several rifles. This really becomes apparent when using LC ammo. It usually goes like this;
1. Oprod piston AND Gas Cylinder are both on the low side of spec.
2. You are shooting LC 69 and short stroking
3. You back off the gas lock ONE turn and the gas port is still in the gas cylinder window.
4. You now cycle fine

I believe this happens because you have a larger chamber to capture gas in and thus more gas to expand. This is more gas to drive the oprod rearwards and cycle the rifle.

This "ported" gas lock screw that is being discussed, essentially is capturing more gas by increasing the volume of the gas chamber. This part I agree with and this will probably allow a lot of rifles that can't shoot LC69 to now shoot it.

What I don't like? The "ported" gas lock screw is not adjustable and does me NO good for my hunting loads.

I hope I was clear with my ramblings.

Orlando
05-04-2011, 06:35 AM
So its a hollow plug.
Thanks for the explaination