PDA

View Full Version : New Game, you be the gun repairmen

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Okay, I'd like to start a new game for all to play. I'll tell you about some crazy ass job that came into my shop and what was wrong with that particular rifle. You all can try and diagnose the problem and solve it if you'd like. I see lots of crazy stuff here and thought some of you might enjoy solving some of these puzzles. I'll let you all ask me any questions you'd like and give the answer within 5 days of posting.

I had an M1 Garand come into the shop Wednesday for a simple repark. The customer had a WRA bolt he also wanted put into the rifle for headspace checking and the rifle test fired. I got the work done, bolt checked out fine for Headspace, and took the rifle to the bench to go bang bang.

I loaded the enbloc with two rounds and the first round fired and ejected with the second round hitting at 10 O'clock on the chamber failing to feed.

I loaded a full enbloc and the first round fired with every single round after that striking 10 O'clock on the chamber failing to feed.

What the heck is wrong with this rifle?

I already know the answer because I fixed it. You all can ask any questions you like and if you know the answer, PM me.:)

I'll unstick this post after the 5 days.

Schriv
05-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Hmmm.. Ill go with a defective follower slide assembly.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Hmmm.. Ill go with a defective follower slide assembly.

Okay, you're on record. You didn't even have any fact finding questions, just right to it, brave man.

canes7
05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Did you use the same en-bloc clip for the 2 shots and the 8 shots?

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Did you use the same en-bloc clip for the 2 shots and the 8 shots?

Yes, and then I used a different clip, same result.

jak
05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
It seems that you test fired the rifle with the WRA bolt before you disassembled and parked the rifle. Is that correct ? If so, did you fire one or two rounds ?
If you loaded and fired only one round,then you don't know if the rifle worked correctly loading the 2nd round before the parking. Then the WRA bolt would be the problem. If two rounds fired correctly before the parking the rifle then the malfunction could be too much park in the follower slide and its binding.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I did not test fire the rifle before I parked it, it came as parts. Never heard of to much park in the follower slide but that's another topic :)

I loaded two rounds for the first test fire AFTER the assembly and including the addition of the WRA bolt. The first round fired and second round nailed the chamber at 10 O'clock. I then loaded a full enbloc and every round, except the first, did the same thing.

I have absolutely no idea how the rifle operated with the other bolt.

Here's a clue, the fix was a matter of thousandths. In fact, maybe 20 thousandths.

canes7
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Clip latch? Not holding the clip at the correct depth?

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Clip latch? Not holding the clip at the correct depth?

Buzz, sorry canes. The Kid, Stu, knows the answer to this issue as he's the one who identified this common problem to me about two years ago. When this issue rears its ugly head, it can drive you NUTS figuring it out UNLESS you know what to look for.

paid4c4
05-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Op rod bent or bent wrong?
Bill

jak
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
My last guess would be the ejector on the bolt is sticking out too far and tilting the round up.

canes7
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Buzz, sorry canes. The Kid, Stu, knows the answer to this issue as he's the one who identified this common problem to me about two years ago. When this issue rears its ugly head, it can drive you NUTS figuring it out UNLESS you know what to look for.

I've never encountered this problem and it is already driving me nuts.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Op rod bent or bent wrong?
Bill

Sir, the oprod is in spec.

jjones
05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
was the reciever in spec? bent follower arm?

CollectorChris
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Worn oprod spring, not fully pushing the follower up?

Prince Humperdink
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
the fulcrum on the "bullet guide"?

Orlando
05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Heres my guess. Either bullet guide worn out of spec or bent ear on the follower rod or bent follower rod.

Prince Humperdink
05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Heres my guess. Either bullet guide worn out of spec or bent ear on the follower rod or bent follower rod.

that is 3 guesses ;)

Orlando
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I am covering the bases

I had a rifle that did what Tim is describing. Could not figure it out everything looked to be inspec. Gave up and put it back in the safe.
Got it out one day and looked it over and found one ear on the follower rod was bent. I replaced it and it ran like a champ

Prince Humperdink
05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I was just teasing.I had a similar problem,but after I got rid of the post war bullet Guide My problem went away.It also displayed the famous,"can't put a full clip in syndrome",which Tim's did not.so wear is a good guess.

Orlando
05-02-2011, 04:31 PM
It could be so many different things causing that one issue but as I think about it Tim's probably given us all clues we arent looking at.
Since it was supposably a functioning rifle before it came in and all he did was change the bolt and repark its either a bolt issue or I suppose could be a abstruction of the gas port.
Heck I dont know, if I was that smart I would be doing Tim's job instead of crawling around on my hands and knees for the last 30 + years

paid4c4
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I beginning to see why Tim makes the big bucks! I give?
Bill

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
was the reciever in spec? bent follower arm?

Receiver was in spec and follower arm fine.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Worn oprod spring, not fully pushing the follower up?

Oprod spring just fine.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
the fulcrum on the "bullet guide"?

It was perfect.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM

All were in perfect condition.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
My last guess would be the ejector on the bolt is sticking out too far and tilting the round up.

BINGO

I see this quite frequently, or at least more than you'd think. I ground down the ejector, NOT extractor, and the rifle was running inside of 5 minutes. I don't know how far you can file down the ejector before there's a problem but I filed this one down a BUNCH, well behind the bolt face. What causes this is either:
A. The extractor post is worn and letting the slot in the ejector have to much play
B. The actual slot in the ejector is worn
C. Both A and B.

Thanks for playing.

Danmanrn
05-02-2011, 08:23 PM
That was fun, educational, and I am ready for the next question. Good job.

paid4c4
05-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Tim I like the new game. I try to understand the workings of the Garand but I have so much to learn. Thanks for the opportunity to learn about our favorite rifle.
Bill

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Tim I like the new game. I try to understand the workings of the Garand but I have so much to learn. Thanks for the opportunity to learn about our favorite rifle.
Bill

I say this everyday, always learning.

jak
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
That was fun Tim. It has to make you think.......which is hard for me to do sometimes.

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Oh I got more but I'm going to stick to only new things that come in.

Dave Waits
05-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Tim, I've seen that with guys who bought M14 ejectors at gunshows thinking they only had to cut the spring back.

timshufflin
05-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Tim, I've seen that with guys who bought M14 ejectors at gunshows thinking they only had to cut the spring back.

We now have;
D. You have an M14 ejector

Good one Mr. Waits.

canes7
05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Wow.. Even though I lost, I like the new game! Looking forward to the next round.

Oh Mr. Wilson
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
OK, I missed out on this one, throw another good one at us. I love this kind of firearms brain teaser!