PDA

View Full Version : Bipod G with drop down Gas Cylinder and brake.

timshufflin
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Bipod, brake and gas cylinder from Standard Parts. The bolt stop is a working type as you would expect to work on an M14.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/MiniG/IMG_0224.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/MiniG/IMG_0223.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/MiniG/IMG_0222.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/Timmypoo52/MiniG/IMG_0221.jpg

Orlando
01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Looks good Shuff

Prince Humperdink
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Now that looks cool...there Tim,finally some love for Your pocket sized Rifle.

Eli
01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Looks great except the wrong damn gas screw in it!
I don't even want to guess the decibel level - how bad is the muzzle flash with those Type E style brakes?

Eli

timshufflin
01-16-2012, 05:24 PM
I didn't notice any flash on any of the 25 rounds that I shot down range. It's light out so I can't sees it. The screw is a schuster you savage. What screw should an M14 bastard Garand have?

Orlando
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
The screw is a schuster you savage.

Tim,
Why the Schuster, is it needed on all the Mini G's?

timshufflin
01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Tim,
Why the Schuster, is it needed on all the Mini G's?

It's just my little insurance policy that I include on them all.

toolman
01-16-2012, 06:08 PM
NICE!!! Ill take 2! Send to the same address you have been sending everything else. peace toolman

Eli
01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I figured it ought to have the standard BM59 screw since it uses that gas system! Does the BM59 system still require the Schuster? It's supposed to be slightly improved over the Garand system - the brake acts as an expansion chamber of sorts. I'm not sure that's applicable with the Stand Parts E-Style compact brake.

Eli

timshufflin
01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Eli, I would not waste a relic like the 59 screw on one of my mutts. I'm not worth it :) I like my rifles to run just fast enough to cycle, no faster. There is also no known oprod spring length for this rifle or even an oprod spring for that matter. I have a proper spring for a standard G but not for this. They just don't run as well with too much gas pressure and the schuster seems to solve for that.

grumpyoldretiredcop
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
That does look good, Tim! I've got the same question as Eli before I go spend more $ with Standard Parts for their E-style brake - will it work with the Schuster plug on my Mini-G?

timshufflin
01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
The schuster works with ALL of them.

Rush2112
01-17-2012, 01:00 AM
sexy

any designator for this spin?
"Shuff's Mini-G 62" sounds like a weener ;-)

been watching for the brakes, and voilą!
I panicked and beat the rush -- scarfed one up this weekend before they are gone.....

cuppednlocked
01-17-2012, 10:43 AM
You need to clean your kitchen...

Eli
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Is the BHO functioning properly? Is that going to be a cataloged modification?

Eli

timshufflin
01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
What in the dickens is a bho? I can't keep up with all you high tech rednecks.

grumpyoldretiredcop
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
The schuster works with ALL of them.

Thanks, Tim!

If that BHO (bolt hold open) setup is going to be standard, I'll have to start saving my pennies to send my rifle back for the mag fed mod. $clapper$

timshufflin
01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Tim!

If that BHO (bolt hold open) setup is going to be standard, I'll have to start saving my pennies to send my rifle back for the mag fed mod. $clapper$

Okay, bolt hold open. The bolt hold open on this rifle functions correctly. Now I have to find someone to make it. This hold open will hold the bolt open after the last round, allow the mag to be stripped, bolt still remains open, new mag put in, pull oprod back and release.

This hold open works without needing the receiver bridge to be modified.

timshufflin
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
One caveat, when you put a new mag in, the round will pop up slightly because the bolt hold open does not hold the bolt back past the receiver bridge.

grumpyoldretiredcop
01-17-2012, 09:11 PM
So to charge the weapon, you'd have to pull the op handle back rather than releasing the bolt stop? No big deal if that's the case.

NOT to upstage Tim's photo, I got my bipod today, here's what it looks like on a non-mag fed G with the BM gas system. The only glitch is interference with the forward sling mount. Since I'm a lefty, the Beretta BM front band wouldn't help. Thinking about a QD on the right side of the stock just behind the band if there's room.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/grumpyoldretiredcop/Mini-G/Withbipodrightsidelarge.jpg

timshufflin
01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
No sir, you can release the bolt stop as well but, like a slide on a pistol, it's better to pull the slide (oprod) back and release that instead. Using the bolt stop to release the bolt is tough on the stop, it wears it much faster.

Oh, great job on your G sir!

Eli
01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I know a small job machinist that's made stuff before - got drawings or something?

Eli

timshufflin
01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
It can be done using milling but not for any price I can (the customer) can afford (at least I don't think so). I believe this will have to be a cast part. I'm going to try and get this thing printed and then have it quoted for casting.

Rush2112
01-17-2012, 10:06 PM
any progress with the BM-style lower band?

timshufflin
01-17-2012, 10:10 PM
any progress with the BM-style lower band?

You would have to ask Standard Parts about that.

cuppednlocked
01-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Tim,

I have a friend that owns a machine shop/fabricator. I can vouch he's a stand-up guy who won't screw you. He's a pistol shooter and has made some stuff for his 3-gun friend. I'm not sure if he can cast parts though. How about cutting it out with a laser? I know he can do that...

If you would like to get in touch with him I can give you his contact information.

buckshot85
02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have been bugging Shuff with all kinds of questions about building a Mini-G for me with a BM 59 type gas system. Tim mentioned getting the parts from Standard. What's main difference between the USGI gas system and the BM59? Is the op-rod less fussy with the BM? Straighter rod with less bends? Any advantage or is it just preference ans looks? Are there different gas locks/breaks available? Yeah, I know, a bunch questions, but, I thought maybe you guys could answer a few for me and let Shuff just keep working. Thanks for any help.

timshufflin
02-15-2012, 07:39 PM
hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have been bugging Shuff with all kinds of questions about building a Mini-G for me with a BM 59 type gas system. Tim mentioned getting the parts from Standard. What's main difference between the USGI gas system and the BM59? Is the op-rod less fussy with the BM? Straighter rod with less bends? Any advantage or is it just preference ans looks? Are there different gas locks/breaks available? Yeah, I know, a bunch questions, but, I thought maybe you guys could answer a few for me and let Shuff just keep working. Thanks for any help.

+'s = Look (to some) and no modifying scout mount brackets and oprods when used together.

buckshot85
02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
i assume as reliable as any other Tim. any issues that are unique to these that have cropped up at all or no different than any other Garand?

timshufflin
02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
i assume as reliable as any other Tim. any issues that are unique to these that have cropped up at all or no different than any other Garand?

Oprod springs need changing much more frequently.

Orlando
02-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Oprod springs need changing much more frequently.

How many rds down the tube should it be changed?

PS, package of rusted , bent, junk parts went in the mail today

buckshot85
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
so i buy the BM59 gas cylinder and break and send it along with all the regular Garand parts? i have a new spring kit. do you just cut down the op-rod spring to fit or use as is? how often are guys changing the spring? 1000 rds.?

Orlando
02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
so i buy the BM59 gas cylinder and break and send it along with all the regular Garand parts? i have a new spring kit. do you just cut down the op-rod spring to fit or use as is? how often are guys changing the spring? 1000 rds.?

Also need to include a signed blank check:)

buckshot85
02-15-2012, 07:58 PM
well i could do that, but i don't think you would get too far!

timshufflin
02-15-2012, 08:00 PM

I like 500 rounds. I use a special spring on the G, but not the G mag fed. I take your oprod spring in trade.

Oh, one more thing, bottom line is if the oprod spring doesn't set more then .5", don't change it.

buckshot85
02-15-2012, 08:09 PM
do you think the reason that it needs changing more often is because of less coils to absord the load? i would have you do a standard enbloc Mini-G. no mag conversion. sounds like a pretty straight forward conversion. any thing else i should consider before hand?

timshufflin
02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
do you think the reason that it needs changing more often is because of less coils to absord the load? i would have you do a standard enbloc Mini-G. no mag conversion. sounds like a pretty straight forward conversion. any thing else i should consider before hand?

That spring is entirely different than a normal Garand spring. There are less coils but not as many less as you would think. The coils are thinner but more of them and the poundage of the spring is greater. The spring does seem to wear quicker though. Good news though, the Wolff highpower tanker spring can be had right at Midway or directly from Wolff. When I do a conversion the old package from the spring comes with the rifle so you know what to order.

buckshot85
02-15-2012, 08:17 PM
thanks Tim.

timshufflin
02-15-2012, 08:26 PM
thanks Tim.

My pleasure sir.