PDA

View Full Version : Who returned their Garand to the CMP and the receiver threads/face was bad?

timshufflin
05-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Like the title said, someone, one of you, returned either their Garand or Garand receiver to the CMP and they found the receiver face or threads were not cut correctly/true.

My question is, why did you return the receiver/rifle? What was the rifle doing that made you know there was a problem?

timshufflin
05-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Come on now, you're out there and I hope you read this.

timshufflin
05-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Please???????

timshufflin
05-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Btt.......

Punch The Clown
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Why do you want to know?

timshufflin
05-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I want to know what that gun was doing that made the person return it and I want to know what the CMP said was wrong with the receiver. It was either the receiver face or the threads that were F'd up.

cuppednlocked
05-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Never thought I'd see you beg...

Dave
05-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I returned a WRA receiver once that you could not get a clip or timing block into when a trigger group was latched in. Tried dozens of combinations of t-groups and stocks then discovered the milled slot in the receiver where the front of the trigger housing sits in was way off compared to the dozens of others I checked. It kept the front face of the trigger housing far enough into the "mag well" that the clip would jam up on the front of it and not go in all the way. I'm sure that if I had a bin of trigger housings to try I might have found one that worked but as it was I sent it back and exchanged it.

captain_bob_badfish
05-17-2011, 11:56 PM
About a year ago my shooting buddy had to return his WRA to the CMP because of a problem with the face of the receiver. It looked like it had been milled to get the barrel to index. It was fubar so I told him to send it back.

tljames
05-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Tim I returned a SA service grade geeeezzzz back in '06 or '07. The thing shot 14" high @ 100 yds. This after cutting down the rear aperture in order to lower it the most it could go. Thought about adding height to front sight as well, but before I did so I call CMP. The guy said send it back I'll fix the problem or send you a different rifle. They ended up sending me a different rifle and told me the threads had been crushed or something of that nature. You and I discussed this "way back when" on the old forum. Is this what you are remembering? Thomas

tljames
05-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Oh yeah and Canes7 helped me with relieving the stock, and I tried swamping stocks etc, without any luck. Thats when I finally gave in and called CMP :)

timshufflin
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Tim I returned a SA service grade geeeezzzz back in '06 or '07. The thing shot 14" high @ 100 yds. This after cutting down the rear aperture in order to lower it the most it could go. Thought about adding height to front sight as well, but before I did so I call CMP. The guy said send it back I'll fix the problem or send you a different rifle. They ended up sending me a different rifle and told me the threads had been crushed or something of that nature. You and I discussed this "way back when" on the old forum. Is this what you are remembering? Thomas

Finally! AhhhhhMennnnnnnnn!

The reason I had asked this is that a customer had sent me a CMP special and it shoots about 10" left. The barrel seems to be straight and the gas cylinder and sights look fine. I could have done a barrel swap per the customer request but I told him to please send it back because the cost would be heart breaking if it ended up being the receiver. I then told him of "this one time" where a guy had just this happen. He just didn't want to send that rifle back though because it had already been sent back twice. I explained the love at the CMP and encouraged a third time.

Mr. bad fish, your incident could have caused exactly the same thing.

TL, thanks for replying so quickly $bomb$