PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Rescue of old Colt 1911

paid4c4
01-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I purchased/rescued a Colt Mark IV, Series 70 Government Model .45 at a recent estate sale. The Colt was manufactured in 1971 and I believe it to be original and mechanically unmolested. After a good cleaning inside and out the Colt functioned and shoot as new, in other words it will out shoot me. The bad news, the Colt was filthy and somewhat rusty when I got it. I managed to clean most of the rust off and it looks pretty good. Along the way in the life of this Colt someone re-blued the slide, the frame appears to be original. The bluing on the slide has a light purple cast and has several pits caused by rust. Apparently when the slide was blued someone couldn't help but to take a "buffer" to the top part of the left side making "Colt Mark IV...." and the engraving on the right side very weak.

I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on how best to correct this fine old Colt. I could do nothing and use it as a carry/range pistol or I could have it coated which would hide the sides and the pitting. This is a nice old Colt, nothing special about it other than it's a nice old Colt and deserves better than it's gotten. Any assistance is appreciated.
Bill
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/paid4c4/d3f66f0f.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/paid4c4/8096f9c7.jpg

cuppednlocked
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Hmmmmm, you could send it to me. While in my possession I will examine the possibilities and get back to you.

Honestly I think I would keep it as is unless you just had to spend some $$$ on it. If you feel the need have it blued or cerakote finished (sp?). From what I've been told the cerakote wears like iron, I have no personal experience with it.

If it's been treated rough and you want to put some bling on her you can always spruce it up with better sights, beaver tail grip safety and a commander style hammer...

Prince Humperdink
01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
I agree with Matt,and would keep it simple,or keep it as is.I like Parkerization better than bluing,so I would probably park it,carry it,and shoot it.

Orlando
01-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I agree with Hump, if you do anything park it. Will help cover a world of sins

mixmaster
01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
I am with Humpy and Orlando. Send it to Tim as the park can hide a multitude if sins and pits and yet give you a good looking and serviceable finish.
Mix

Rick B
01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Should be parked on top and shinny side. Model 70 is one of the best. Rick B

cuppednlocked
01-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Curious to know what you decided, and how much you paid (ballpark).

paid4c4
01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
I haven't decided on what to do with it yet. I paid $375 dollars for it with a receipt which I thought was a pretty good deal.
Bill

Jim Oliver
11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Some of the Series 70s that I have seen (owned) do have light markings when new; I sorta like 'em that way.....and old blue may turn purple after many years but I haven't seen that on Colt slides.

Older Ruger rifle receivers tend to take on a purple color after several years.........

Eli
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Send it to Timmy and have him parkerize it!

Eli