PDA

View Full Version : Commercial ammo options for an m1

solbene
01-29-2012, 07:39 PM
I have been looking for other sources of ammo to shoot in my M1's and other than the CMP. It seems the surplus market is drying up when it comes to affordable M2 ball. I know there is berdan primed stuff from Iran out there and quite frankly I am skeptical based on it's origin.
I do not yet reload but I prefer to shoot boxer primed surplus as I plan on reloading in the future. I've already accumulated approx 3500 casings over the last 5 years and had a lot of fun doing it. I've shot HXP from numerous years and a ton of lc 69.
I figure commercial may be more consistent but I Am not sure what to look for. I know the Garand is sensitive as to pressures, fps and bullet weight. I know there are commercial Garand loads out there from American Eagle and Hornady but I want to keep the price comparable to CMP prices or less. I've seen some options out there but I am more confused now than ever.
I've toyed with the idea of getting some cheap gold bear 150 grain FMJ for plinking. Ive also seen wolf military classic 145 gr in addition to Sellier and Bellot FMJ of I believe 150 and 168 gr. I think I've also seen Prvi-Partisan 150 and 168 gr. None are advertised as Garand ammo but I would like to know what experience anyone here may have had with any of these loads in their garands or even CMP bolt guns. If so were you using the standard USGI gas plug or were you using an adjustable plug? Would you recommend to shoot any of these as is? Or stay away from any in particular? All feedback is welcome.
I will of course continue to support the CMP but I'm trying to think ahead for when Milsurp ammo is scarce or over priced.

Thank you in advance for the info
Nels

timshufflin
01-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I shoot an adjustable gas screw and using LC as the exception, every other ammo I've shot, commercial or surplus, uses the same setting on the screw. I have not shot golden bear or any Korean.

Sea3006
01-31-2012, 01:07 AM
For a standard Garand, any commercial 150 grain is probably OK. This guy here has done a ton of pressure testing and his data is what leads me to this conclusion http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:shooting-commercial-ammunition-in-your-m1-garand&catid=39 . If you think about, the garand was developed around the M1 172g bullet at 2650 FPS, not the lighter M2 150g.