PDA

View Full Version : Assist needed

rlelvis
02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
To estimate the value of a July 1942, 710,xxx M1 for a very good elderly friend. He’s not looking for an estimate to sell; he’s just been wanting to know the value of some guns for knowings sake. This appears to be the most original Garand I have ever had in my hands but I could be mistaken. He has had it since the 50’s so I don’t think it was ‘restored’. With the exception of the windage knob, lock bar and sight cover the rest of the finish appears to match and is about 70%. There are no import or other marks.

Any input is appreciated.

Serial number 710xxx, no indication of lead dipped heal
EMcF (faint), worn but nice, no rebuild marks, 57 in bbl channel, fair to good lockup
Stock metal appears correct and fit is good
Bolt -12 RE6B
bbl 7-42, in the white, no chrome (mzl 2, exl crown)
oprod uncut -3 (stamped M)
follower rod type 4
follower arm type 4
follower type 2 marked 11
bullet guide type 2
oprod catch type 2 in the white
rear sight long pinion lock bar (windage knob and lock bar do not match rifle finish)
square front clip latch
rear handguard band milled
arched/milled lower band with solid pin
early gas cylinder front sight seal in place, R marked on top rear flat
gas cylinder lock chamfered
solid single slot gas screw
trigger housing -7
safety -9
hammer -3
miller trigger guard
winged plunger in the white
spring housing in the white

Prince Humperdink
02-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Bob,if it had the correct short pinion with checkered knob that alone would be worth almost a grand.Sounds like a it was slightly rebuilt,and if memory serves it should have round clip latch.Don't know what type 4 follower rod is but should be short fork rivited.not gonna guess about price.oh yeah,TH should be a-5 w/-2 hammer.

13Fox
02-17-2012, 11:07 PM
I concur with the Prince. And round clip latch would be correct as well as perhaps a -6 with hole safety.

timshufflin
02-18-2012, 08:11 AM
$1200 on auction.

rlelvis
02-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Ryan Yes it should have a round clip latch and the follower rod is a short fork riveted. On the TH and hammer I was using Duff for reference and both fall in a transition period, -5 to -7 and -2 to -3 respectively and fit with the data sheets. Poye Riesch only list the -5. I am all ears for thoughts on this.

13F I agree a -6 with hole appears to be correct, transition is very close.

Thanks Tim, a few hundred below my estimate but probably more accurate.

timshufflin
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Ryan Yes it should have a round clip latch and the follower rod is a short fork riveted. On the TH and hammer I was using Duff for reference and both fall in a transition period, -5 to -7 and -2 to -3 respectively and fit with the data sheets. Poye Riesch only list the -5. I am all ears for thoughts on this.

I'm not saying your wrong at all. You never know :)

Prince Humperdink
02-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Could be.I was just thinking the transition was around 800,000.With all the overlap it very well could be.I think Duff has forgot more than I've ever known ;).........I do know the short pinion was used until about 1 mill or so though.

rlelvis
02-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Ryan, Yes you are correct on the sight, not original. For his sake I do wish it had the original short pinion checkered. I am only gong on what I have here in print and they do not agree. There very well may be more accurate info. Most have forgotten more then I know, which aint much that's for sure.

Tim, I figured the price on parted out pieces and parts. Heck it seems like I always pay too much so no argument here. Just tryin to give him good info. This one looks sexy to me so that is worth a $ or two in my book. He’d better hope I am around if he ever does sell.

May be worth a few pictures if I can get my computer to read the camera.

musketjon
02-19-2012, 01:13 AM
TH can be either a -5 or -7. Square end clip latch is correct. -3 hammer is good also. -9 safety is good too.
Jon

rlelvis
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
TH can be either a -5 or -7. Square end clip latch is correct. -3 hammer is good also. -9 safety is good too.
Jon

Jon
??? Square end clip latch? What I understood was change in late 1943 or about 2.1/2.2mil. So waht am I missing? I am all ears.

musketjon
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Bob,
My bad. You are correct. Round end is first in line. I was just thinking bassackwards.
Jon

rlelvis
02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Jon, I do that all the time ID'ing parts. If I kept detailed data sheets I would need to buy white out by the gallon.