View Full Version : My Tax return didn't last till Louisville........ New Toy

jbassmaster18
02-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Walked into the military shop that I frequent all the time on Thursday and he handed me this:

Colt Model 1911 US ARMY Serial Number 19352. This one manufactured in 1913, reworked either between the wars or at the start of ww2 because it has the correct Colt wood 1911A1 grips. Frame and slide appear to match with lots of WW1 parts on it. about 98% ww2 parkerizing remains. SON OF A BITCH I thought. Especially when I saw the price tag: $950 and included 3 WW2 mags. (2 R marked and 1 S marked) It cut my "Show of Shows" funds in half, BUT This pistol was just too damn nice to pass up.

What do you boys think??

timshufflin
02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
You now have too much disposable income :)

jbassmaster18
02-18-2012, 02:25 PM
You now have too much disposable income :)

Yes you are right Tim. Being Single with a killer job, truck that is paid for, and small rent payment does have its perks. My spending would be worse if I still lived at home with Mom and Dad. This will all change as I start house shopping in June/July.

VitSports6
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
That sounds like a great price for an awesome piece of History.
Congrats!

Prince Humperdink
02-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Very nice Mr Larson!Someday I hope to find one too.

toolman
02-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Nice pistol. But what is a tax return. Pics please.

timshufflin
02-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Nice pistol. But what is a tax return. Pics please.

Ha ha ha ha! My oldest got married and now gets one of those.

Orlando
02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Tax return?? I know what quarterly payments are

KnickKnack
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Tax returns are something that young people get that us old people pay for.

No disrespect, JBass. :) You scored big! Nice pistol!

rlelvis
02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Very nice piece bassmaster.

Prince Humperdink
02-19-2012, 08:11 PM

KK,
Thanks for the $4500 I got :)

timshufflin
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM

LMAO LMAO LMAO! They are something that anybody who overpaid gets or that anybody that is deemed as poverty stricken will get. You can be 70 years old and getting back more than you paid in BUT you knew that already LOL!

timshufflin
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
KK,

You're NOT welcome!
:(

I do like your signature photo though LMAO.

Prince Humperdink
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
We had to pay the State and Federal gave us Back,I actually had no choice..We had to file and They gave it to Us....free money..WOO HOO!Tim,I need Your measurements to sew up Your unicorn costume.

seaninmich
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM

god, I hope you don't think that's anything close to fact. I pray that that was some kind of joke that I just didn't happen to get

dogboysdad
02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
The government doesn't give you anything that they didn't take from someone else.

toolman
02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
$4500.oo Return. I have never got a refund back like that in my entire life. And it isnt free money. They just took it from me and gave it to you. Not nice. Peace toolman

Last year i paid $34,000.00!!! And i listen to my wife cry,, every year around april,may,november!!!!!!!!!!

Prince Humperdink
02-19-2012, 10:47 PM
$4500.oo Return. I have never got a refund back like that in my entire life. And it isnt free money. They just took it from me and gave it to you. Not nice. Peace toolman

Last year i paid $34,000.00!!! And i listen to my wife cry,, every year around april,may,november!!!!!!!!!!
Guys,I didn't ask for it.We filed Our taxes and that is what the outcome was.Someone is getting what I gave the state too.Between My Wife and I We grossed 32,000 and we bring Home $800 a month after small business bills and expenses to support Our Family of 4,If They want to "give it to Me" I'm not going to bitch.Would You be happy if I would have sent it back and let an illegal alien have it?I did not make the system,and I'm darned sure not able to fix it :( GEEZ,Sorry for being poor!!!

PS,Sorry Jonathan :(

KnickKnack
02-19-2012, 11:33 PM
KK,

You are welcome. Who got the other $1000 I paid this year?

KnickKnack
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM
LMAO LMAO LMAO! They are something that anybody who overpaid gets or that anybody that is deemed as poverty stricken will get. You can be 70 years old and getting back more than you paid in BUT you knew that already LOL!

No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500. Since the kids moved out, I have tried every year to have only the amount that I owe removed from my checks, so that I neither owe nor receive any money at tax time. This year I paid over $5500 in taxes. I know several younger people with families, my kids included, who get back way more than they ever put in because of the way the income tax deductions and credits are structured. One guy at work grossed over $100,000 a year between himself and his wife and still received a tax refund each year of more than they both put into the system. Either H&R Block is cheating or the tax codes favor the young, which they never did when I was young.

KnickKnack
02-19-2012, 11:43 PM
god, I hope you don't think that's anything close to fact. I pray that that was some kind of joke that I just didn't happen to get

Wait til you get old. You'll understand.

seaninmich
02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
You are welcome. Who got the other $1000 I paid this year?

I hope you're not complaining about paying your share to fund the "common good". $5500 for your portion of the "community chest" seems very reasonable. AS a free man. I'm sure yo're more than willing and happy to do that.

seaninmich
02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500. Since the kids moved out, I have tried every year to have only the amount that I owe removed from my checks, so that I neither owe nor receive any money at tax time. This year I paid over $5500 in taxes. I know several younger people with families, my kids included, who get back way more than they ever put in because of the way the income tax deductions and credits are structured. One guy at work grossed over $100,000 a year between himself and his wife and still received a tax refund each year of more than they both put into the system. Either H&R Block is cheating or the tax codes favor the young, which they never did when I was young.

seriously? you're going to, in the same breath, tell us that you go out of you way each year to make sure that your withholdings do not exceed your tax liability and then cry because you don't get a return?? LMAO. how sad.

seaninmich
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM

You're either drunk, or you have no idea how withholdings and tax liabilities works

KnickKnack
02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
seriously? you're going to, in the same breath, tell us that you go out of you way each year to make sure that your withholdings do not exceed your tax liability and then cry because you don't get a return?? LMAO. how sad.

I was not crying because I do not get a return. I try very hard to pay in exactly what I owe during the year so that I can keep as much of my salary as possible to live on. $5500 is only the Federal Income Tax that I pay. There is also New York State Income Tax. I also pay $5300 in property and school taxes, which increases by about 5% every year. I also pay 8% in sales tax. I am on a fixed income of $48,000. None of this includes any "fees" that I have to pay to New York State for gasoline, vehicle registration, driver's licence, vehicle inspection, ect. If you live in New York, and you are not young, with children under 18, you are paying around 40% or more of your income to the Government.

Such things as Head of Household and Earned Income Credit do not apply to me. Read the tax codes. Almost everything is geared to young familes or people making enough to have investments.

KnickKnack
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
You're either drunk, or you have no idea how withholdings and tax liabilities works

The last time I had a beer was on Super Bowl Sunday. I maybe have 1 or 2 beers about every 6 months or so.

I paid a tax sevice to do my taxes for about 3 years, then realized that they couldn't help me any more than I could help myself, so I do my own taxes now. Apparently, according to you, they didn't know how withholdings or liabilities worked either.

seaninmich
02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
There is also New York State Income Tax. I also pay $5300 in property and school taxes, which increases by about 5% every year. I also pay 8% in sales tax. I am on a fixed income of $48,000. None of this includes any "fees" that I have to pay to New York State for gasoline, vehicle registration, driver's licence, vehicle inspection, ect. If you live in New York, and you are not young, with children under 18, you are paying around 40% or more of your income to the Government.

And, as a FREE man, you are FREE to move to a state that does not charge all those fees. You pay those additional taxes because you CHOSE to live/move to/stay in New York. Please do not dig a hole, jump in, pull the dirt in around you, and then complain to me because you can't breathe.

seaninmich
02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
The last time I had a beer was on Super Bowl Sunday. I maybe have 1 or 2 beers about every 6 months or so.

I paid a tax sevice to do my taxes for about 3 years, then realized that they couldn't help me any more than I could help myself, so I do my own taxes now. Apparently, according to you, they didn't know how withholdings or liabilities worked either.

You make no sense. You said "No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500". The amount that is with held has no impact on your tax liability. You went out of your way to make sure you did not have withholdings in excess of your liability. good for you. Most people do not do that. In fact, many people have ADDITIONAL withholdings taken each week for the sole purpose of getting a large return. I cannot believe you would make such comments to people just for getting some of their withholdings back. I am embarrassed for you

jbassmaster18
02-20-2012, 09:24 PM
This thread is exactly why I have been staying away from forums the last few years. Just tried to share my new pistol and I get 20 comments about taxes........

Crazy Horse
02-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Considering the price and the condition, i say you got a smoking deal. Good on ya.

KnickKnack
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM
You make no sense. You said "No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500". The amount that is with held has no impact on your tax liability. You went out of your way to make sure you did not have withholdings in excess of your liability. good for you. Most people do not do that. In fact, many people have ADDITIONAL withholdings taken each week for the sole purpose of getting a large return. I cannot believe you would make such comments to people just for getting some of their withholdings back. I am embarrassed for you

I have no problem with people getting their own money back and more power to them. I have trouble with people getting back more than they put in. That does happen and not just for the "poor". I don't understand why people let the Government take more than they owe throughout the year and then are happy to get their own money back, without interest. If you want a big return, figure out exactly what you owe and only pay that. Then have more taken out and deposited in a credit union or bank savings account. You'll get the "big return" at the end of the year, with interest, by taking it back out of you bank account. For some people, they will get more back from the Government too, because they will find credits and deductions to return all of what they paid in and more.

The Tax code is thousands of pages and no one can possibly know everything that is in it. That is why there are tax attornys and tax preparers, but they even to research the code for answers. The IRS doesn't even know what is in the code. This is why the entire system has to be thrown away and replaced with a flat or fair tax. But not a 20% flat tax like Rick Perry wanted. That would have me paying way more than I do now. Herman Cain's proposal of 9-9-9 was just about right.

KnickKnack
02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
This thread is exactly why I have been staying away from forums the last few years. Just tried to share my new pistol and I get 20 comments about taxes........

I apoligize for the thread drifting, but tax time is a very sore subject with me. Like I said, I'm not taking anything away from you and I'm happy for you on your find.

timshufflin
02-21-2012, 10:17 AM

bassmaster, relax man, we'll hunt you down in Louisville and fill you full of beer. You'll forget that your thread was ever savaged. Of course, the moderator of this room could have stepped in for you but apparently they found it all very okay.

dfonten44
02-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Jbass that is exactly my position on forum issues that start out of hand or get off the thread topic! BTW very nice find. B

timshufflin
02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Jbass that is exactly my position on forum issues that start out of hand or get off the thread topic! BTW very nice find. B

Fontenot, you're killing me! We now have the pot talking about the lid.

KnickKnack
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Holy crap, D! Not you too!!! Am I on everybody's PMO list today????

toolman
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Jbass, like stated before nice find bro. But if a topic goes off course, so be it. Do what i do to my wife when she startes talking about something i dont like.. I ignore her!!!

Really dude!! Most of what shuffs says i ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO $auto$

dfonten44
02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Holy crap, D! Not you too!!! Am I on everybody's PMO list today????

No sir your not. I just read and watch the postings way more than contribute anything to them. Self restraint on the keyboard and a cpl days later, the thread whatever it is, isn't worth jumping in on anymore. I do shake my head and giggle alot at the BS though. BUT in my book, the Silverback and Sean can always go take a hike, I never pay attention to the ramblings of michiganites. B

timshufflin
02-22-2012, 07:34 PM
No sir your not. I just read and watch the postings way more than contribute anything to them. Self restraint on the keyboard and a cpl days later, the thread whatever it is, isn't worth jumping in on anymore. I do shake my head and giggle alot at the BS though. BUT in my book, the Silverback and Sean can always go take a hike, I never pay attention to the ramblings of michiganites. B

Milk... ME

dfonten44
02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Milk... ME

When i go to Lemont Ill for a turnaround shortly, i'll be glad to drive to Jayrome MI and visit you in person. BTW Jbass you have a fine pistol dude. B

MajorD
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
getting back to the pistol- are the U.S. property markings intact on the left side of frame?
if so 950 is a fair but not great deal for a rework/mixmaster. if the property marking was removed, you over spent by about 400 bucks.

HerkFE
02-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Alright, so, I've read all this junk about taxes and whatnot...

That's a pretty nice "legit" 1911, so, my question is, where can I find something similar when I move back to the States? I am looking to pick up a USGI 1911 in a few months, but I don't know where to look for them. I'm headed to the Fayette-nam in NC, so if anybody has any relatively local leads, please let me know. Also if anybody has any info on ranges in that area, it'd be appreciated. Thanks!