PDA

View Full Version : Barrel vise and reciever wrench

jjones
02-19-2012, 11:53 PM
I am looking for a barrel vise, and a reciever wrench for the M1. Who sells the best one? I like the one chestnut ridge sells, but they have been out for a long time, and don't know when they will get more. If you know of a good one, let me know.

Thanks
Joe

musketjon
02-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Get the barrel vise where/when you can. For the receiver wrench get the biggest crescent wrench you can get (something in the area of 18-24 inches). That's all you'll need for the receiver wrench. Pad the jaws with a piece of leather or even plastic milk jug to keep from marring the finish.
Jon

themeowman
02-22-2012, 07:44 AM
I got my receiver wrench from Brownells. They have several that use a universal handle you can switch
around.
Tom

mikebaker1129
02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
I have the Chestnut ridge barrel vise and Receiver wrench. Other makes were cheaper,but I wanted something heavy duty . The one from Chestnut ridge is very heavy duty. I hear good things about the CMP stuff also,but they were not offering them (discontinued) when I purchased mine.
Joe how far are you loacted from Belton ?

Orlando
02-22-2012, 09:20 PM
A big cresent will work for installing a barrel but if you get a tight stubborn barrel and a cresent isnt the best option. I do know this from experience :)

jjones
02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Mike, I am about 20 miles from belton. You going to be in the area, if so, I still have that welded reciever you wanted.

timshufflin
02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I have used the old cmp barrel vise and receiver wrench on well over a thousand rifles. I've had receivers that took almost ripping my bolted down bench off the wall, NO problem. The fit of these two tools is spectacular, I can't imagine doing any sort of timely work with the other gizmos. As long as I keep a good strip of masking tape on the action wrench, no marring. If I don't catch my tape being thinned through, I have to repark. Just one piece of tape is all it takes.