PDA

View Full Version : IHC at Auction

musketjon
05-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Guys,
There's an IHC M1 coming up in a few weeks in a big firearms auction. It's a gap-letter, s/n 465489? Barrel is 7-53 LMR. Stock has 2312 in bbl channel. All parts are IHC except the op rod which is SA. Is this in the correct s/n range to maybe have an SA op rod as "original equipment"? It's estimated to sell between $800-$1600. I'm gonna' go and bid on it. Wish me luck. There is also an SA, 400,000 range with flush-nut sights, SA 1-42 barrel. It looks mostly correct (-5 TH, -3 op rod, 8 follower) but an EMcF stock. I can only afford to [maybe] buy one. If you were in my shoes, which one would you opt for? I'm thinking the IHC due to its rarity, but the flush-nut sights aren't exactly plentiful either. I'm leaning towards the flush-nut model as there is a better chance of getting an IHC later than a flush-nut model. Thoughts? Suggestions??
Thanks
Jon
See them here:
littlejohnsauctionservice.com. Lot #414 (flush-nut Garand) and #493 (IHC Garand) BTW, I do not work for little John's Auction Service. I just live really close by and go by it on the way to-from work. I've dealt with John for over 30 years and know him personally.

wgandy
05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
musketjon,

It's my opinion the SA op rod on the IHC is not original. When you get a chance to examine it the drawing number on bolt should not start with 65 but should be D or D-. Trigger housing should start with IHC, hammer should start with C-55, elevation knob should be IHC DRC with a W in a hexagon. LMR barrel should be punch marked between the LMR and the beginning of the drawing number. There's a bunch more to look for but these are a few things to look for.

The SA with flush nut sight sounds interesting too.

Whichever way you decide to go I wish you good luck.

-wg

Crazy Horse
05-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I would go with the 400k with flush nut.
cheers

musketjon
06-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The 400,000 w/flush nut sight went for $1900. The IHC went for $2200. Neither one came home with me. The Mrs said I should've gone to $2500 on the IHC but I told her added to that $2200 is a 15% buyers fee and 8 3/4% sales tax. That would've made it waaaaay too much for any IHC, even this one that only needed to replace the SA op rod to make it 100% correct. There will be others eventually.
Jon