PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a ROKU?

dogboysdad
03-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Does anyone have a ROKU? I am looking to reduce the cost of cable. They look pretty neat.

Eli
03-09-2012, 12:02 AM
The get rave reviews on Subguns. I personally am looking to get a Western Digital TV box, it does every thong a Roku does but also streams network shares - and I have plenty of network shares!

Eli

dogboysdad
03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Network shares??

timshufflin
03-09-2012, 07:54 AM
What is roku? I can stream here but not in any way that makes the feature enjoyable. My speed is like 2000mbps. Is Roku a unit that streams faster or is it just a unit that turns non internet tv's into internet tv's?

KnickKnack
03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
You guys are way above my head now. I have cable. I turn on the control box, it turns on the TV and I have a remote that I can change the channels and adjust the sound with. There are something like 1000 channels on my cable. I watch about 7 or 8 of them. I can also record ones when I'm away or want to watch two shows that are on at the same time.

If you guys are talking about those dish network thingys, they seem to be popular here. They are also ugly hanging off the sides of houses, especially if the front of your house faces South, where the dish has to hang.

dogboysdad
03-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Check it out on www.roku.com .

timshufflin
03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I checked it out dbd, I can't find out if it is a broadband upgrade or just a streaming box that needs your broadband.

HerkFE
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
I checked it out dbd, I can't find out if it is a broadband upgrade or just a streaming box that needs your broadband.
http://www.roku.com/roku-products
No PC needed
Roku connects easily to your TV and wireless (Wi-Fi) network at home. Be up and streaming in minutes.

You still need a net connection, and according to the spec sheet, it only connects via wifi, so you need a good wifi router too. I've been doing this for a few years with my Xbox, except it will also stream movie files located on my computer, so I can watch stuff that isn't on Hulu.

dogboysdad
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
The high end model and the older XDS have ethernet ports so you can wire it right to your router.

Eli
03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
The newer Roku boxes have wifi on them. Both the Roku and the WD box use your existing Internet connection.
Network shares are shared files that can be accessed from other machines on the same network. For instance, my desktop has movies in a shared folder that I can play on my laptop from elsewhere in the house. I can plug my laptop into the TV.

Eli

KnickKnack
03-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Um, my internet connection is through my cable provider, who also brings my television channels. Sooo.... how does hooking up this roku thingy help me?

HerkFE
03-09-2012, 11:58 PM
In your case it doesn't help much, it might save a little cash, but would probably just confuse you more. Ask my brother about it next time he's there, or I'll explain it when I get to pick up my rifle from you.

KnickKnack
03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
In your case it doesn't help much, it might save a little cash, but would probably just confuse you more. Ask my brother about it next time he's there, or I'll explain it when I get to pick up my rifle from you.

Your brother confuses me more.

I thought I was delivering your rifle? Good excuse to check out the South Store. You want the shot gun too?

Eli
03-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I have internet through Comcast, with 'broadcast channel' super-basic cable. I get NO cable channels, and it costs $$$ to add them. I can get a Roku or similar and for a lot less than what Comcast charges watch all sorts of cool stuff on demand.

Eli

Hektor
03-19-2012, 01:11 AM
I bought the Sony streaming box because it has both wireless and a ethernet cable input. The basic new Roku does not. Then, we bought a new Toshiba 42 inch with built in Netflix and we cut our Comcast cable about $40 a month. The TV does not have access to to HULU, however, but the Roku / Sony does. You have to make sure you set up the Roku to the wireless router correctly and for me, I had to have help setting it up. Netflix streaming has a lot of stuff and a lot of junk. Hulu has a lot of TV shows but they are not commercial free like Netflix is.

If you buy a Roku with ethernet, in my opinion you would be better off hard wired. Hope this helps.
John

dogboysdad
03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I have had mine for a week. The wireless streaming has been impressive. Picture clarity has been great.

Hektor
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
When we first ours up we had to change the wirless channel from the Netgear router we have. Then again, Comcast has a couple of different levels of streaming signals. I am hardly an expert here, however. With the Roku or the Sony, uoi can get Netflix or HULU or a few other channels and programming that is not on our Comcast schedule. Netflix streaming is $7.99 a month. With Netflix, we could pay that, shed premium channels on Comcast and still save money.