PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet question

Big Ben
03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
OK boys a quick question.
I have a crap-load of .38 cast wadcutters. I want to start reloading this caliber for some plinking. They are dry as a bone, I know they need to be lubed. I'm new to this madness so I'm not sure how to lube them or what to lube them with. Do I need to size them? Would the liquid type lube be easier?
What do you guys think?

melloman
03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Someone gave me a bunch of .38 special 148g LBBWC a few years back, same thing - dry as could be. Got some of that Lee Liquid Alox tumble lube. Put some lube and the cast bullets into a 1 lb. potato salad container, snapped on the lid and shook them around for a minute, poured them out onto some waxed paper to dry for a day or two. Loaded them up over 3.1g of 231, small pistol primer and a COAL of 1.80"+/_ . Wimpy load but just fine out of my GP100 @ 20yds.

Prince Humperdink
03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Order some McDonalds french fries(large size works best),eat the fries and then rub off the oil with the bullets...caution,oil will be salty,so treat as corrosive ammo :)

13Fox
03-14-2012, 11:06 PM
If you want to shoot unsized, do exactly as mellowman does. Works great. When using this ammo in warm weather, the alox can get messy...

Only way to know on the sizing is to try it. Each bullet/load/firearm can vary on sizing preference. For example, I shoot 148 BBWC sized .356 (38 Special) and 150 Keith sized .358 (.357 Mag) in the same Python