PDA

View Full Version : Folding stock

redheep
05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I really like the look of the mini-g with the folding stock in the picture from the article posted on Tim's homepage.

Is that an expensive option or is it commercially available? I'm thinking of adding that to my mini-g build list when the time comes to send Tim my rifle.

paid4c4
05-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I believe the picture you're looking at is comparing the length of a miniG with an M1 Carbine in a para trooper folding stock.
The only folding stocks which I think will fit the miniG's is like the one on my favorite MiniG which is from a BM59. I've attached a photograph to give you some idea. Should you decide on a folder I have one to sell.
Billhttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/paid4c4/fullviewpixofrifle-1.jpg

redheep
05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Bill.

Now that I look at it, I see the difference. I don't know much of anything about a BM59. I like the stock in the picture. Is that similiar to the one you have to sell?

Does it drop in like a garand stock or do you have to work it?

I'm in no hurry, I've got plenty (PLENTY) more time stuck on this rust bucket.

paid4c4
05-06-2011, 05:04 PM
No rework needed for a normal MiniG. I think Tim might have had to do some work on the stock in my picture due to it have the M14 magazine option.
Bill

timshufflin
05-06-2011, 05:05 PM
The stock I want to get folks is the one in my signature line. I think I'm dreaming.

redheep
05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't know much about poly filled glass, but I've worked with carbon fiber before on the aircraft. There has to be someone that can make a mold that you want and then the stock from the mold.

If there was a good mold, a wet vacuum bagged layup could be done with composite, so I don't see why it can't be done with glass. The trick would be the finishing work.

Of course, a 5 axis CNC machine would be nice, then we'd all have sweet gun parts laying around.

Personally, I prefer the wood :D

redheep
05-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Ok, so I've looked at BM59 folders. I'm not paying 750 or 900 bucks for a stock. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have another gun or two for that kind of cabbage.

So, what's the difference between the BM59 folder wood and the wood of a regular garand stock? From afar, it looks as though they're the same. I'm thinking of making my own repro stock. Pretty handy in the garage and with metal. I'm thinking I can find very similiar folding pieces from other sources.

Thoughts?

axemurderer
05-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I am in the process of doing something like in the photo. I am using a Remington 870 stock adapter. You may be able to do this and add something like an Ace folding mechinism don't see why it would not work.

Mike

Schriv
05-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Have you guys looked at these? Definitely not my cup of tea, but M4 stocks seem to show up on everything now. :o
http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html

I'm not sure of the front heat shield is attached, but it could probably be removed to wrk on a mini-G.

mikebaker1129
05-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Tim the stock in the pic looks like a Tapco stock . I assume you have contacted them ?

mikebaker1129
05-08-2011, 05:31 PM
The wood on the BM59 folder and the M1 wood is different.

redheep
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Different like impossible or different like workable?

If the two receivers mount the same, I would think that the wood would be the same around the back porch and vertically down the sides at that point. If the angle is drastically different, the addition of some wood in that area would allow for reshaping. Most of it would be covered by the metal portion that would house the folder anyway.

Obviously I'd be shooting for aesthetically pleasing, but even some of the most trashed stocks come back to life with some work, I think I could add/subtract/carve enough of the buttstock portion to make it work.

But I've never seen them in person. I could be way off base.

mikebaker1129
05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Different, but workable. The receivers are almost the same,the BM59 is the offspring of the M1 garand. M1 wood could be converted to a folder,by someone with good wood working skills .

redheep
05-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Well, I won't confess to having "good" woodworking skills, but I know my way around a planer and a joiner.

The base has a wood hobby shop with pretty much every tool known to man, so maybe I'll take a crack at it on a new stock when I get home. The trick is finding a folder that will mimic the BM59 folder. I was looking at saiga12 conversion kits, but I'd have to have one in my hand to see if there was an acceptable and aesthetically pleasing mounting solution.

Not going for the black assault rifle look, but maybe something that was 50/60's oriented.

Capatin Teague
01-24-2013, 09:50 PM
So would a rifle that fits an M1 garand drop into a BM59 folder? I'm told the Mountain Garand from the Garand Guy uses a M1 garand stock.

timshufflin
01-24-2013, 10:22 PM
So would a rifle that fits an M1 garand drop into a BM59 folder? I'm told the Mountain Garand from the Garand Guy uses a M1 garand stock.

That would use a Garand stock, the barrel on that rifle is a "standard" .308 tanker barrel so it is not 1/2" short at the breech end.

NE450No2
02-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Tim, Have you thought about contacting the Choat company?

Several years ago, in the 1990's they made a folding stock section, that attached to a standard M14 USGI fiberglass stock for Springfield Armory. I have been using one since they first came out. It was out of production for many years, but I think recently, they have started making it again.

They could probably engineer one that would fit a cut off wood Garand stock, with little modification from the one they use for the M1-A. Actually it might not have to be modified much if any at all.

It does lock out 100% solid, and has a good cheek fit to the iron sights on the M1-A.

It is very fast to deploy.

It might be worth a look.

timshufflin
02-20-2013, 08:11 AM
I have not thought about it. The stock I am currently looking for is a complete synthetic with adjustable butt. Even that is now far on the backburner.

HerkyBird
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
i have not thought about it. The stock i am currently looking for is a complete synthetic with adjustable butt. Even that is now far on the backburner.

omg!!! It's going to be an assault weapon!!! :rolleyes:

NE450No2
02-21-2013, 04:02 AM
The Choate folder works great on an M1-A.

However on a Garand, I wish some company would remake the BM 59 folding stocks, as I like the fact that the buttplate folds up, so there is nothing sticking down below the stock. Since the standard Garand does not have a magazine that type of stock makes it a real handy package to store.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a couple of those on M1-A's. I have always wished I had found one for a Garand, back when they were around and not too spendy...

A quality Folding synthentic stock for a Garand would be a great thing as well.

CEK
03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
If the Mini-G is done with a mag conversion would it work in a BM59 folding stock? I have one on my M1A Scout and if I do this I would rather have it on the Mini-G. If it is possible would the BM59 stock need to be modified in any way?

timshufflin
03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
The clip latch pin would need to be drilled to retain the clip latch pin with a roll pin. Your follower pin could fall out because the stock is open at the follower pin head. The trigger pin can fall out because the trigger pin can walk out because stock is cut out for the winter trigger. If you can deal with these things, it can be done.

CEK
03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
The clip latch pin would need to be drilled to retain the clip latch pin with a roll pin. Your follower pin could fall out because the stock is open at the follower pin head. The trigger pin can fall out because the trigger pin can walk out because stock is cut out for the winter trigger. If you can deal with these things, it can be done.

I think I will leave it where it is. Could (Mini-G with mag conversion)be put in a GI M14 synthetic stock instead?

timshufflin
03-19-2013, 07:21 PM
I think I will leave it where it is. Could (Mini-G with mag conversion)be put in a GI M14 synthetic stock instead?

A mag fed G? I think it could but would require much modifying. I know it's not in my wheel house.