PDA

View Full Version : Who counterbores barrels?

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I have a WW2 barrel w/no chrome and a TE just under 4.The bore is bright and shiny,but there is a problem...The muzzle is bulged about 1/4"down and the exterior metal is blown out too big for the gas cylinder to go on.Does anyone know of Someone who can counterbore past the bulge,and what They charge?This won't be in the cards until after I complete My build and do some more saving,but just checking on options.BTW,I'll have to have the muzzle milled back to size as well.
Thanks,
Ryan

musketjon
04-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Ryan,
I had mine done by Bolsa Gunsmithing but unfortunately he's a ways away from you here in the southern PRK. He only charged me $60. It changed that rifle from a 9 ring gun into a 10 ring gun. SA 9-42 barrel on a 815XXX SA receiver.
Here's a pic. I had it c-b'd 3/16" to get rid of the cleaning rod re-crown.
Jon
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/musketjon/IMG_0024.jpg

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks Jon,I thought that was You that had that procedure performed.

timshufflin
04-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Ryan, what you want done isn't just a counterbore though bro. You want the barrel squeezed tightly and then counterbored because of the bulge. You can't even get a gas cylinder on so it must be bulged nicely. Honestly, I think it's a mini-G barrel but if time and money are no object, you can surely find someone to do it.

Punch The Clown
04-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Hey Tim, what about putting a spud in the barrel and using "The Tool"?

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Is there a tool that"smooshes 'em" back to shape?Perhaps a collar press or something?I have a barrel that shows a ring around the bore in the same spot,but the exterior has been pressed back and is just a bit thinner in diameter,it is not counterbored and has a ME of 2.....good shooter BTW.

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Here are some pics of the bulge next to a normal barrel.
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Bruner_Family/Guns/barrelbulge003.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Bruner_Family/Guns/barrelbulge005.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Bruner_Family/Guns/barrelbulge004.jpg

LEAD POISON
04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Ryan take it outside,pound it in the ground,Plant tomatoes by it.

jak
04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm am not a machinist and don't know if this would cause problems when you shoot the rifle but can you:
1) Put the barrel in a lathe and trim down the bulge.
2) Then put the barrel in a drill press with a drill bit just slightly larger than the bore and counter bore the barrel.

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm am not a machinist and don't know if this would cause problems when you shoot the rifle but can you:
1) Put the barrel in a lathe and trim down the bulge.
2) Then put the barrel in a drill press with a drill bit just slightly larger than the bore and counter bore the barrel.
That is exactly what I was thinking.It only has to come down a bit for the GC to pass over,and if the rifling is"counterbored"I would think it would be under far less pressure as the bullet would have left the Rifling and peak pressure at that point?

Punch The Clown
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Ryan, the smith's use a pipe cutter fitted only with rollers to correct the shoulder on barrels that overclock. I would think a .301 spud in the barrel and using "The Tool" may re-shape the barrel. Just get your hand on a couple of pipe cutters and swap out the cutting wheel for a roller.

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Ryan, the smith's use a pipe cutter fitted only with rollers to correct the shoulder on barrels that overclock. I would think a .301 spud in the barrel and using "The Tool" may re-shape the barrel. Just get your hand on a couple of pipe cutters and swap out the cutting wheel for a roller.

I don't have access to one,other than a little hand held one to cut tubing....:(

timshufflin
04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Seriously Ryan, what's a barrel like that worth? To me, about $2. You like tomatoes right? You can grow more than $2 worth of tomatoes on that barrel and baby Jesus will smile on you.

Yes, you could roll the barrel with "the tool" and then counterbore it but WHY? Barrels are cheap bro, I would rather have a barrel with some pitting then that barrel.

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Seriously Ryan, what's a barrel like that worth? To me, about $2. You like tomatoes right? You can grow more than $2 worth of tomatoes on that barrel and baby Jesus will smile on you.

Yes, you could roll the barrel with "the tool" and then counterbore it but WHY? Barrels are cheap bro, I would rather have a barrel with some pitting then that barrel.

A barrel like that is worth a lot,but even $5 is a lot.To Me a 1945 barrel with a TE of 4,good exterior finish and a non chromed pad is stupendous,and I can't make Myself think that a bright bore is worthless,but You are right.I just try to salvage anything I can,and there will be no way I can buy a comparable barrel,and I need to finish this kit for My own sanity because My stinkin' pain is getting to be unbearable.I have been keeping busy rehabbing old parts,trading parts,and selling old stashed parts to get these projects done.I have a receiver coming for this date,but perhaps I could just use the 3/44 barrel.It has a Me of about 3,but the TE is 9!!!!!!

Sheesh,I'm starting to sound like a whiner/ liberal..must be because I'm out of pain pills and My body is on fire :(

PS,I hate Tomatos!!!!

musketjon
04-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I AM a machinist and I was going to suggest turning the bulge down on a lathe. DO NOT USE A DRILL PRESS TO COUNTER-BORE THE BARREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll eff it up and it will become FUBAR. The counter-bore MUST be done in a lathe with a 4-jaw independant chuck!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!! A 3-jaw chuck will have too much run-out. The bore MUST be indicated to run as true as possible. It IS possible to indicate a barrel to within 1-2 10,000ths. It just takes time and the proper equipment. Once you get it set up it only takes a matter of a few minutes to do the actual work. It's the set up that takes the time. Hell, I've run some jobs where it took longer to set the machine up to do the job than to actually run the job.
I'd do it for you but we don't have a 4-jaw chuck on our engine lathe at work. That's also why I had to farm it out. I CAN do the work but I don't have access to the proper lathe chuck. Major bummer.
Just my $.02
Jon

timshufflin
04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!

musketjon
04-03-2012, 09:14 PM
[Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!]

Tim,
Call me any thing you want----------------------------just don't call me late for supper.
Jon

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!

You just made Me smile.

Prince Humperdink
04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
[Jon, when I prepare to launch my rocket for the big lunar trip to the moon, I'm calling YOU!]

Tim,
Call me any thing you want----------------------------just don't call me late for supper.
Jon
You made Me smile too.