PDA

View Full Version : Any Browning Hi-Power gurus here?

captain_bob_badfish
04-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I've had in interest in these but have no experience with them. I've had an offer of this one in trade for one of my Garands (somewhere between service and field grade). The HI-Power is an FN with a serial number of 35xxx. He says it shoots great, bore is bright and lands are sharp. Could this be a 1935 with the two first digits being 35? Any idea what the market is for these pre-browning pistols are?

Thanks,
Bob

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/hipower001.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/hipower002.jpg

LEAD POISON
04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Any nazi proofs?

captain_bob_badfish
04-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I don't see any in the photos so I'm guessing it must be pre-occupation?

VitSports6
04-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Thats a beauty!
The Garand you may be trading is a $6-800 rifle correct? The High Powers run that price whenever I see them up for sale, This is an early one, as long as the slide ad frame #'s match I say go for it, However if you can shoot it first that would also be a bonus.
I'm curious why you say Pre-Browning? They are a Browning design, Always have been, JMB traveled back and forth from Utah to FN some 61 times while designing weapons for FN

captain_bob_badfish
04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I guess I meant pre-Browning factory here in the states.

VitSports6
04-04-2012, 10:48 PM
A quick search netted this...

http://tele.com/articles/browning-faq.html

Roadkingtrax
04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
How early? Weren't early high-powers equipped with the tangent/ladder rear sight?

I'm probably wrong though???

captain_bob_badfish
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
How early? Weren't early high-powers equipped with the tangent/ladder rear sight?

I'm probably wrong though???

I think you are spot on. From what I've read tonight it's probably (not 100% positive) that it is probably late 30's 2nd variation right before the Nazi's took over.

mixmaster
04-05-2012, 03:13 AM
It is an early model and as such the serial number should be on the barrel,slide and frame. Early on it was called a High Power or a P35. Tangent sights were made before during and after WW2.As to value, The fact that you did not say the barrel matched and the piece looks like it received the kiss of death to collectors by re finish places it in the shooter class. There lays the problem. NO PLUS Ps the weak point is the extractor and the barrel cam. Just for giggles,try finding an extractor for the old model(internal extractor)and then see where you can get the cam and next who will install it. So value wise as a collector piece you be the judge as to refinish but the barrel has to MATCH. Any deviation and it is a shooter. They are very good guns and I have a number of them and wish I could trade for a good Garand But (unless we were trading) I would place the value no higher than maybe $550.00. Also check for import marks,look very closely as they tried to hide them and the old models were marked very lightly. As a shooter BTW you can fit a late model slide with the external extractor but barrel must be fitted to frame/cam. Do able and interesting. Old models do fine with regular loads but do not feed hollow points well due to the hump on the old feed ramp. I have worked on HPs for years but am not an expert on dates and collectability of the HPs . I just know when I have an old model or a new model or a clone.(FEG etc) and have built a few so I do know how to repair them (somewhat)
Mix

mixmaster
04-05-2012, 03:38 AM
The P35/High Power being marked as a Browning is not correct. No they weren't all Browning marked,The majority were sold in Europe and are marked FN with credit given to Browning patent. Many of them sold here in the US were also not marked Browning but FN D'Armes de Guerre and again credit given to Browning patent. No Browning Marked HPs were ever made in the US. Charles Daley had FEG make the parts and shipped them to the US where Dan Wesson and Magnum Research assembled and fit them and were sold as Charles Daley with a claim of being US made Hi powers(not Browning) . I have two of those and have posted pics of them at an earlier date.
Mix

captain_bob_badfish
04-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Good information. Thanks Mix!