PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

Hektor
04-07-2012, 10:50 PM
I am compiling a ton of old photos (mostly slides) for a photo book for myself and I came across this print from a 1964 air show at Lincoln AFB, in Lincoln Nebraska where I was stationed in a SAC B-47E wing. This Vulcan came in from a "sister" base in Great Britain. The film "thunderball" came out in the same year and that featured a Vulcan. The Vulcan set a distance record in the Falklands War. This print was damaged over the years so i did what I could to restore it. I will have to hunt for more.

timshufflin
04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I like the print in its damaged form, looks classy.

Hektor
04-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks Tim,
There was a crease vertically across the cockpit and fuselage. I took it out as best I could. I have a lot of memories from those four years. For one thing, we had to qualify once a year with the M1 carbine and I once held the squadron record score. (maybe the base record, but I forget) I was in the base newspaper with my picture, but that was lost long ago. The range was shut down after an ROTC cadet in summer camp shot a round off the property and hit a farmer's cow.

buckshot85
04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
that darn cow was guilty of something anyway, i just know it. thanks for the pic!

axemurderer
04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I love the Vulcan. I was TDY in Goose Bay Labrador for a while in the 1980's. The brits were flying low level training there. For fun they would fly low over the barraks and then just point her straight up in the early morning. It felt like an earth quake. How I do miss the old days......

Mike

Hektor
04-08-2012, 02:11 PM
This is another view. Also some B-47s356357

Schriv
04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
The Vulcan is a beautiful airplane.It's always been one of my 'favorites'.
I've still got a 1/72 scale model of one that I built 30+ years ago hanging down in my shop.