PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know about chickens?

Skeet6
04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I just got one, (she escaped my neighbor... who's from Puerto Rico, and has many running around for food, and this one didn't want to be soup...) She came up 350 feet of driveway to live with us. We paid the neighbor to keep her, LOL she's been here for 3 days...and I have been to Tractor supply 3 times already. I bought some feed, some "treats" (gross dry mealworms) and a little hutch/coop thing. HOW THE HELL DO I GET HER IN THE COOP?
She is a tetra-tint if that matters at all. I made a little hay bed in the coop, and left the front down, (like a ramp) and food in it and water nearby. I even made a little trail of mealworms up the ramp but she just pecked her way up, and back down. Any tips appreciated.
Mike B
PS: I tried "catching" her, but... that didn't go so well, but I think she was having fun...

axemurderer
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey Mike B

I know nothing about chickens. However a friend of mine has recently started calling himself a chicken farmer after a trip to Tractor Supply. He has built a coop and now has over a dozen hens and a rooster. My advice is give it back to your neighbor, or make soup. From what I can see these birds are addictive. By the way where in upstate NY.

Mike A

Punch The Clown
04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
I just read that they're indigenous to Asia, so if you have any ideas about bringing that chicken to Michigan better change your plans.

Skeet6
04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
I am up near New Paltz/Poughkeepsie area. And with only three trips to TS, I can see that this will be fun... However, I already have enough things to call myself besides chicken farmer, LOL.
Asia? Where'd you read that Punch??
Oh, that's not what I read... I read that they are a new breed with Leghorn mixed in there, but man I am way outta my league here, and really have to limit my forum time to this board, the NM board, the M14 board and kinda have to limit my time on www.backyardchickens.com
... She's really is kinda cool, though. I think I'll get another like Mike A's friend, $clapper$
Mike B
BTW, remember Gonzo?
His girlfriend the chicken?
Her name is Camilla.

timshufflin
04-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Just get chicken feed and have it by a heat lamp. This time of year, they still like a nice heat lamp. Put the heat lamp in a box with an opening, just go on in during the evening and she'll be in there, catch her. If you have coons in the area, make sure you are there when she goes in the box, the box makes for easy coon bait. I've had entire flocks knocked out by coons in just four days.

canes7
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I just had some chicken wings with my beer. It was very tasy. I prefer a grilled/dry rub wing over the BS BW3 crappy sauce. I good amber or Irish red usually goes well.

That's what I know about chickens.

Contact Col. Sanders if you need any designs for a chicken slaughterhouse.

musketjon
04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
You can always choke that chicken. lmfao

Jon

Skeet6
04-18-2012, 08:54 PM
You can always choke that chicken. lmfao

Jon

Thanks, guys for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I can't even try Jon's suggestion, I can't catch the darn thing!!! She's fast!
Oh, well... more tomorrow. THANKS ALL!!!
M
PS: Tim, I will look into the heat lamp idea for my coop-thing once I get the crazy bird IN the coop, no? Or put the lamp and she'll go in?
PS2: WTH am I even doing chasing chickens around my lawn LOLOLOL!!!

cuppednlocked
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
.22 CB is pretty quiet, more like a little pop.

axemurderer
04-19-2012, 06:35 AM
I am up near New Paltz/Poughkeepsie area. And with only three trips to TS, I can see that this will be fun... However, I already have enough things to call myself besides chicken farmer, LOL.
Asia? Where'd you read that Punch??
Oh, that's not what I read... I read that they are a new breed with Leghorn mixed in there, but man I am way outta my league here, and really have to limit my forum time to this board, the NM board, the M14 board and kinda have to limit my time on www.backyardchickens.com
... She's really is kinda cool, though. I think I'll get another like Mike A's friend, $clapper$
Mike B

BTW, remember Gonzo?
His girlfriend the chicken?
Her name is Camilla.

Mike B

Dude watch out about saying Upstaqte NY. I have a place up in Deleware county and have been admonished by some on this fotum about that not being upstate NY. But The way I look at it. You can not live further downstate then I do
(Staten Island) so it is all upstste to me!!!!!

Mike A

cuppednlocked
04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I saw an Eastern wild turkey in Battery Park the last time I was in NYC... does that count?

canes7
04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Turkey wings are pretty good too. Kill 'em and grill 'em.

cuppednlocked
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Dan,

Can I have your turkey tags???

cuppednlocked
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Before anyone gets their panties in a wad...

NC does not issue tags per se. We must report any big game harvest online, via phone, or in person. An authorization number is provided and must be written on your license in the appropriate area on the "tags".

canes7
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Do I get any turkey tags with the "Sportsman" license?

Kiss Me I'm Irish
04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I saw an Eastern wild turkey in Battery Park the last time I was in NYC... does that count?
Was it Bloomberg?

buckshot85
04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
hey, why did the chicken cross the road??? it was stuck to the pervert.

Rick B
04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Heres an idea and we use explosives with a net you shoot over pigeons. Rick B

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E4jKQ0f-ujg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>