PDA

View Full Version : Any one know about ticks?

seaninmich
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
So madeleine and I were out in the yard for a while today.

came in. ate. took bath.

Carrie was playing with her hair right before bed and there was blood in her hair – quite a bit.

At first it looked like she had a cut on her head so we started wiping with a damp cloth. wiping and wiping and finally see that the “wound” is about the size of a pin prick.

I couldn’t believe there was so much blood from such a tiny spot. Then I checked her bath towel – blood on it. then I check the shirt she was wearing today – blood streak on it from pulling it over her head.

Basically, LOTS of blood, infinitely small wound.

What you think? tick? I’ve never seen a tick bite so I really have no idea. I assume it’s got to me some sort of bug bite. I can’t think of any other way to get so much blood from such a small spot.

Thoughts?

melloman
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Tick bites don't usually bleed that much, but some of the ticks around here are REALLY small - I have seen them smaller than the period at the end of this sentence. My hunch is that it is some kind of other bite, perhaps an engorged mosquito? You will need to monitor the site for several days to see if a red ring develops around the bite mark - the "bulls eye rash" could be indicative of exposure to Lyme's Disease. In lieu of all that, is it possible that she got bumped on the head by something earlier in the day?

seaninmich
05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Tick bites don't usually bleed that much, but some of the ticks around here are REALLY small - I have seen them smaller than the period at the end of this sentence. My hunch is that it is some kind of other bite, perhaps an engorged mosquito? You will need to monitor the site for several days to see if a red ring develops around the bite mark - the "bulls eye rash" could be indicative of exposure to Lyme's Disease. In lieu of all that, is it possible that she got bumped on the head by something earlier in the day?

always possible, of course. i just can't think of anything else that would leave such a super tiny hole and bleed so damn much. I mean, there was really a lot of blood. before we cleaned it all up, i was fully expecting to find a 1/2" gash under her hair. instead i found a pin prick

Prince Humperdink
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Sounds like it.The reason it bleeds so much is because the tick's saliva contains an anti coagulant.Watch the area for any redness or infection the next few Days.Head wounds seem to bleed more and could have been ripped out.

melloman
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Not that it is any sort of consolation, but because of the tiny capillaries in the face and scalp, any cut tends to bleed a lot and consequently look a lot worse than it is. Think of how much a shaving nick bleeds.

seaninmich
05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
great. now I'm up to 2 votes "no" and 2 votes "yes". my kid is fooked

melloman
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Look, there are no owner's manual with children. Trust your gut, and if you are in doubt take her to the pediatrician. I know that with our first child we were there so often that I asked the doctors at the practice when they were going to paint our name on a parking space. My son was always sick from daycare - he caught/contracted some real nasty viruses - but at 16 he seems to be damn near bullet proof to any illnesses circulating in High School.

seaninmich
05-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Look, there are no owner's manual with children. Trust your gut, and if you are in doubt take her to the pediatrician. I know that with our first child, we were there so often that I asked the doctors at the practice when they were going to paint our name on a parking space.

yeah, we went through that last year when she was having some seizures. lots of trips to pediatrician and ER. i got really tired of wanting to kill doctors.

Prince Humperdink
05-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Bro,don't worry,just watch the sight for a few days.Probably nothing,Maybe She just bumped into a thorn, or a tiny unicorn...positive waves!

melloman
05-01-2012, 11:15 PM
I remember those times. At 3 yrs 10 mos my son got a hold of a kitchen knife while my wife was making dinner - saw her cutting up some broccoli and decided to help while she wasn't looking - wound up getting 11 stitches in two fingers. The doctor that stitched him up, I wanted to smack him because he didn't give the novocaine time to kick in before he started sewing. My son was terrified and was pleading for him to stop the whole time.

Another time when he was really small he was running a blistering fever and we took him to the ER. The staff was great and they were very thorough. I remember thinking how bad I felt for him and how I wished that it was me that was sick and not him - and then they shoved a tube up his wiener - and my thought process changed immediately to "thank God that's not me!"

M1orNone
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
I say it was a tick too. Having said that, I pulled 14 of the little fuckers off of me two days ago.

timshufflin
05-02-2012, 07:04 AM
I can't go with a tick. Sean lives about 1.5 hours from me and is going to have the same types of ticks we do, dog ticks. When a dog tick digs in, it AINT letting go until it's good and ready, that takes days, not hours. Dog ticks are also not the big lyme disease carrier. Much to do about nothing, go watch wizard of oz.

Rick B
05-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Not that it is any sort of consolation, but because of the tiny capillaries in the face and scalp, any cut tends to bleed a lot and consequently look a lot worse than it is. Think of how much a shaving nick bleeds.

I vote NO and have seen head wounds bleed profusely also. But as a parent I would also keep an eye out just in case. Rick B

dogboysdad
05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
It is possible one of her horns might be growing back? Sometimes they do if not properly done.