PDA

View Full Version : CMP - Barreled receivers

REHRIFLE
05-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I ventured over to the CMP site for the first time in a long time and saw that they had barreled receivers.

Has any one here bought any, and if so, what were your thoughts on them? Deal/no deal, good value..?

Also, for those of you experienced in building them, if one were to purchase the remaining parts to finish the rifle out and paid an "average" price for the parts (including stock), what would you estimate the parts costs to be?

jak
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I haven't bought one yet but it would be a good deal only if you already have all the spare parts.
At $350 for the barreled receiver and bolt, it is only a $275 difference between that and a service grade rifle.
Paying on the low end: $90 for an op rod, $60 for a gas cylinder and sight, $65 for a trigger group, $120.00 for a stock and hand guards.
That's $335 and you still need rear sights, lower band, clip latch, gas cylinder lock and screw, op rod and clip latch springs
If you don't have the spare parts on hand, it would be cheaper buying a service grade rifle.

REHRIFLE
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
That was my thought also Jak. You could buy the service grade rifle, part it out, sell the barreled receiver for $300 and profit.

seaninmich
05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I do have parts and kits I'm looking to sell.

buzzy
05-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Sean,
What vintage were the receivers?

Orlando
05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
You have to remember the barreled recivers they are selling are grade B receivers and will have some pitting.
I have handpicked grade B receivers at the North Store and they range from little to no pitting to so bad I would by them at half the price.
If you are thinking about building a rifle to save money it cant be done unless you already have a pile of spare parts laying around

buzzy
05-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I bought one of the barreled receivers and bolt today from the North Store.
They had about a dozen in the racks to choose from. All were "B" grade, WWII receivers with "new" SA 3-55 barrels on them.
The receivers only showed very minor pitting and the park job on the receiver and bolt matched up quite well. I checked the headspace when I got it home. It will need to be touched up a bit. The bolt didn't close all the way on the go gauge.
Not a collectable by any means, but should make a good shooter.

Schriv
05-14-2012, 02:05 PM
"The bolt didn't close all the way on the go gauge."

So much for their claim that the bolts had been head spaced to the BR. Was the bolt even close to being 'correct' for the serial number, or just a random bolt they threw together with the receiver?

buzzy
05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
My receiver is 551xxx it came with a SA#12 bolt.
I saw (2) SA#19 bolts, the rest were SA#12.

buzzy
05-22-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but for safety's sake,

I got Tim to cut in the headspace on my recent purchase. It required several turns of the reamer to get the bolt to close correctly on the go gauge.
So be careful out there and don't automatically assume it is correct if you buy one. Get it checked out to be safe.