PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Mini-G

Lialos
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
First of all, everywhere when can find a review, people love Shuff's Mini-G's, and so for a guy who loves carbine length rifles and Garands, it seems a no brainer for me to want a Mini-G.

I've got some feelers out to find a donor Garand for the process, but if I fail in that endeavor, my intent would be to come to Tim for a full rifle.

What I'm considering is the following:

Mini-G in .30-06
Pepper/Grey Laminate Stock (Buckshot85's rifle looks amazing)
Ultimak Scout Rail (on which I'll likely mount an Aimpoint M4)
Smith Muzzle Brake

Questions:

Do I need to provide the Stock, or does Shuff have a source?
The $195 for the rail, is that for the rail, and for Shuff to mount and fit it to the rifle?
Does Shuff provide the butt pouch for holding clips that I saw in some pictures?
If I provide the donor Garand, will I get the old stock back?
How do I add up the costs for the above options if I go with having Tim provide the rifle itself?
I make the rash assumption that the Mini-G, as modified, is no longer a C&R eligible rifle? Shuff should apply to ATF and get it on the list!
Has a source been found for a Mini-G stock with a pistol grip? And if so, has anyone tried them?

axemurderer
05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
First of all, everywhere when can find a review, people love Shuff's Mini-G's, and so for a guy who loves carbine length rifles and Garands, it seems a no brainer for me to want a Mini-G.

I've got some feelers out to find a donor Garand for the process, but if I fail in that endeavor, my intent would be to come to Tim for a full rifle.

What I'm considering is the following:

Mini-G in .30-06
Pepper/Grey Laminate Stock (Buckshot85's rifle looks amazing)
Ultimak Scout Rail (on which I'll likely mount an Aimpoint M4)
Smith Muzzle Brake

Questions:

Do I need to provide the Stock, or does Shuff have a source?
The $195 for the rail, is that for the rail, and for Shuff to mount and fit it to the rifle?
Does Shuff provide the butt pouch for holding clips that I saw in some pictures?
If I provide the donor Garand, will I get the old stock back?
How do I add up the costs for the above options if I go with having Tim provide the rifle itself?
I make the rash assumption that the Mini-G, as modified, is no longer a C&R eligible rifle? Shuff should apply to ATF and get it on the list!
Has a source been found for a Mini-G stock with a pistol grip? And if so, has anyone tried them?

Lialos

A Pistol grip styock is easy.http://law483.com/id63.html . By the way the rifle in the photo is mine. Tony is a great guy, and his choice of laminates is unbelievable...Not cheap but worth it.

Mike

Lialos
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Websites like this are a candy store for grownups!

As much as I love the pepper laminate on some other rifles of mine, the pictures of Mini-G's in standard Garand wood is simply classic, and I almost hate to ruin it with the rail on top.

LAW483
05-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Lialos,

Great choices! You will enjoy Tim's work. You may just want to get the rifle made first, then upgrade the stock later as you handle her and figure out her personality. While laminates have a cool factor and give great stability with the beauty of wood, I also find the look of a nicely figured Walnut stock is hard to beat.

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words.

Tony