PDA

View Full Version : Dad's M1

dannybritton
06-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Here's another pic of my dad in Japan.

On the front page of his "Guidebook for Marines" he has the numbers, 1461514, written down.

I wished I'd asked him if this was his Garand's serial number.

Lot's to look at in this picture...

http://www.dannybrittonphotography.com/img/s3/v42/p623107999-4.jpg

cuppednlocked
06-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Pretty cool!

dannybritton
06-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks cuppednlocked. Yes it is.
I see you're friends with tljames, I worked with him at the firehouse until I retired. Good guy!

timshufflin
06-19-2012, 07:36 AM
That is an awesome cool photo sir! You know TLjames? TL, Tender Luvin.

dannybritton
06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Thank you sir! Yep, I know TL real well.
Tender Luvin, love it!! Haha

Schriv
06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Great picture!!! What year was that taken?
I'll have to dig through my old pictures, but we had pretty much that exact same set-up in our hooch in Saudi Arabia in 1990. Right down to the shelves made out of ammo crates! Other than the uniforms and rifles, not much changed.

dannybritton
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey Schriv! That's cool!
Most were taken in the early to mid 50's around Oct. 1954.
Lots of improvising going on there!
He gave me the bayonet you see sticking out of his cartridge belt. I also have his helmet liner and cap pictured.
I'd like to see the pictures you have!
Thank you for your service!

tljames
06-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Tender Luvin here...........LoL

Yes gentlemen Mr Britton was my Captain for several years and yes...........he's the one you guys can blame for my being here. While I was fascinated by Garands and Carbines I'd never actually seen or handled one till on shift with Danny. I then did my VERY best to drive him insane with questions and chances to "lovingly" touch ie. handle his Garand / Carbine. (ok guys yes we all slept in the same room at night) but it was the FIREARMS I was interested in. ;Confused; LMAO
Anyhow he finally loaned me a copy of "War Baby" and I read it cover to cover then after weeks of anguish we found some carbines and ordered them. The rest is history! So if you guys need someone to blame for putting up with me......Danny Britton is your man!!
Danny I always loved that pic of your dad, THANKS for posting it!

P.S. Guys if you have need of a TOP SHELF custom made knife, Danny is your man if you can talk him into it. He makes some beautiful knives!

Good Luck and Good Shooting All! Thomas a.k.a. The Hoser

P.S.S. my signature "better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" his father Retired Fire Chief at our Department was the first man I ever heard say that.........and it just stuck!

dannybritton
06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
TL. I was just passing on the passion my Dad gave me!
Those books are available anytime you want them!
Thanks for the kind words!