PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning & Mini-G Parts

Ride
06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Question 1:
As a first time Garand owner, I've seen a lot of information out there on taking apart the Garand for cleaning. With that said, I've also seen an equal amount of posts/articles about the drawbacks of taking it apart too often as it affects accuracy and lock-up. So I'm conflicted, how often is too much / too little?

So far, I'm close to 200 rounds on my Mini-G and have only cleaned the barrel and wiped out and applied new grease to accessible areas. At what point do I need to start thinking about cleaning the bolt and other parts that require dis-assembly? Is spraying GunScrubber in the bolt / firing pin area recommended?

As an AR guy, not cleaning everything drives me a bit crazy . . . .:-).

Question 2:
Spare parts. Again, not sure what breaks, but based on what I've seen here on BT, my list is:
1. Wolff Tanker op rod spring from Midway (replace at 500 rounds?)
2. Essentials kit from Standard Parts (Firing pin, Extractor, Extractor spring and detent assy, and ejector spring assy) - replace if issue
3. Pin set from Standard Parts (Follower arm pin, Hammer pin, Trigger pin, Clip latch pin, and late type lower band pin) - replace when I lose them on my first dis-assembly.

Your thoughts, critique / comments, and advice are welcome on cleaning interval & spare parts recommendation.

Punch The Clown
06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I only have 1 rifle that is my shooter-now with the BM59 I have 2. The rest come out every now and then. Anyway, I haven't detail cleaned the shooter in over a year and it still looks and works fine. I clean the bore after every trip to the range. Everything else just gets pretty much wiped down with a rag and CLP, and a dab of grease where it belongs.

Orlando
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
On my main shooter Garand (which gets shot alot) I do the same , clean the bore and wipe down with oil and add grease if needed after every trip to the range.
I will usually do a complete tear down clean/lube once a year.