PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tim or any others on M1D barrel removal

Dave
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm sure someone here has experiance in removing an M1D barrel. In all my years of tinkering with garands I've never installed nor removed an M1D barrel as I have little interest in them. I own only one example which I have no intentions of experimenting with.
What I'm looking at is removing a shot out M1D barrel from a rifle that a fellow gunclub member owns. He wants to remove the D barrel assembly and handguard and replace it with a standard barrel and handguard and just put the D items away, thereby creating a standard rifle he can enjoy as a regular garand.
Can I remove the D barrel with the scope block on it or do I need to remove the scope block? If removal is needed, whats involved in removing a scope block? Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
Dave

Schriv
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
My barrel vice fits on my D barrel (clone) without any problems. I spun the D barrel off and replaced it just as you plan to do, but changed my mind and put the D barrel back on a few weeks later.
No problems taking it off, or putting back on.

Dave
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
My barrel vice fits on my D barrel (clone) without any problems. I spun the D barrel off and replaced it just as you plan to do, but changed my mind and put the D barrel back on a few weeks later.
No problems taking it off, or putting back on.
Thanks for the reply.
Were you able to do this with the scope block still on the barrel?

Punch The Clown
07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
The scope block stays right where it is. Anyway, you probably couldn't get it off if you tried.

Dave
07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks again guys!