PDA

View Full Version : Ever see anything like this??

Orlando
07-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Anyone ever saw anything like this before. Poster on another forum said he just bought a Garand and found this.
Just curious what would cause this?

Roadkingtrax
07-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Reminds me of the discussion on carbines...how a small ring at the throat end of the case will break off.....over several hundred rounds a couple rings will cause a headspace problem.

Perhaps flowing brass has some strange qualities. :)

timshufflin
07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
I've never seen anything like that. Reloads? Worn firing pin hole?

Orlando
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
My first guess was worn firing pin hole, just about have to be wouldnt it? How else could it flow that far onto the pin?

Roadkingtrax
07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
My vote would be out of spec pin (short) on a worn bolt with enlarged firing pin hole.

Dave
07-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Pierced primer, hot reloads with loose primer pocket, often accompanied with a bolt pin hole that has been eroded away. That bolt and pin should be scrapped, receiver, chamber and headspace carefully checked with new bolt etc. Primer guilding metal being blown into the pin hole like that can cause the pin to jam and can lead to out of battery firing, slam firing etc. This was one of the reasons the full round firing pins were discontinued. The half round pins had "room" for blown primer metal to collect without jamming the pin, but it still can happen.