PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!!!

luvmym1 13
07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Well after 4 months of being careful, of hearing the horror stories and listening to the gory details in a moment of carelessness it has finally happened. I am now a proud and very much in pain member of the dreaded M1 thumb club. For those of you not yet a member you will be no matter how hard you try not to but also yes the stories are true. It hurts A FREAKIN LOT! After about three hours of throbing pain the beautiful colors set in and here is the final product. I hope this gets me a membership card or something.573

Prince Humperdink
07-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Congratulations!Most Members of this prestigious club(myself included) only "enjoy it's benefits"one time!

luvmym1 13
07-25-2012, 01:00 AM
I can believe that. Not something you want to do twice.

timshufflin
07-25-2012, 07:19 AM
You poor SOB, I'll pray for you.

luvmym1 13
07-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks you sir any help is much appreciated :D

melloman
07-25-2012, 09:11 AM
LEFT thumb? How'd you do that?

Lialos
07-25-2012, 09:44 AM
My father was warning me about the dreaded malady long before we even had a Garand in the house.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger - Nietzsche

Ride
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
I got the Garand Index Finger about a month ago if that helps. . . . I had my Shuff mag mini-g on it's side with the bolt locked back cleaning it out and pressed down on the receiver which triggered the bolt release . . .

luvmym1 13
07-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Oh i was foolin with stuff for no reason has my right hand holding the bolt back and was playing with the follower. The bolt slipped from my hand and slammed down on the left thumb.

jak
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh i was foolin with stuff for no reason has my right hand holding the bolt back and was playing with the follower. The bolt slipped from my hand and slammed down on the left thumb.

I bet you won't do that again !!!

luvmym1 13
07-25-2012, 05:33 PM
I bet you won't do that again !!!

Yeah well thats the price you pay when your super anal about your rifle. I thought the slide wasn't sitting right and started playin with it. I said to myself no worries I'll just hold the op rod back it will be safe. So kids don't do this at home it hurts like a you know what.

dan
07-25-2012, 10:51 PM
That's not really a very good showing.

You should try it with a set of early op-rod springs in place. $commando$

Well after 4 months of being careful, of hearing the horror stories and listening to the gory details in a moment of carelessness it has finally happened. I am now a proud and very much in pain member of the dreaded M1 thumb club. For those of you not yet a member you will be no matter how hard you try not to but also yes the stories are true. It hurts A FREAKIN LOT! After about three hours of throbing pain the beautiful colors set in and here is the final product. I hope this gets me a membership card or something.573

herrmann
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
It feels so good when you stop !

(Like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.)

cannonshooter
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Im not only a member of the Garand thumb club but am a member of the Hakim thumb club. Hope it never happens again but Ill take a garand thumb over Hakim thumb any day of the week.
Mack

dannybritton
07-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Double OUCH!!
Man! I feel the pain from here!!

luvmym1 13
07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the sympathy pains Dan :D

musketjon
08-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I've never had it in over 30 years of playing with the M1 rifle and I intend to stay that way. My father warned me about it more than once--I guess I'm a quick study.
Jon

luvmym1 13
08-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Thats cool Jon your Dad obviously drilled into you good. For me it was just a split second of carelessness but the lesson is learned now and it aint gonna happen again. :mad:

tljames
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
;Confused; I'm sure you said something about "Mother's Day & Sunny Beaches" at least the neighbors thought you said Mother something! ;)

I'm laughing (not at you) but at something that happened when I first bought my son and I a couple Yugo SKS rifles. He was probably 11 or 12 at the time and while I was explaining the loading procedure saftey operation (ammo was still in cab of truck) he was actioning his rifle checking the bore etc. Suddenly I heard the bolt drop on his rifle and he was yelling "daddy get it off get it off daddy" I looked to see the action closed on his right hand's index finger, he was hurting so badly he couldn't manage to reach across with his left hand and operate the bolt! I opened the bolt to find a nicely mashed finger nail. It took about 30 minutes of soothing before we could proceed.
Then I bought my first Garand and he was probably 18. Remembering the SKS fiasco we were both somewhat leary of loading it. You'd thought we were trying to catch a 1000 lb grizzly bear in a tow sack. Probably took us 15 minutes to get the nerve up to even load it!
So far neither of us has suffered the dreaded "thumb", but I'll not say NEVER! or it'll happen before the sun sets today!

Good Luck and Good Shooting All! $auto$ The Hoser