PDA

View Full Version : Need a favor....

howie
07-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Fellers,

I've got some pretty serious stuff going on. Say a prayer for my co-workers and I, if you would, please. Thanks.

Orlando
07-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Done......

timshufflin
07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Oh boy, hope everything is okay.

REHRIFLE
07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Done........

Prince Humperdink
07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Will do Steve.

LEAD POISON
07-30-2012, 02:30 PM
TWO from me.

tljames
07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Yes Sir!..............

cuppednlocked
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
You got'em.

dogboysdad
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Will do. Let us know how we can help.

howie
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Today was better, but we're not out of the woods by a long shot. Praying every single day we can get through it without a staff assault, or worse.

Thanks Gents. I appreciate it.

REHRIFLE
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
...every single day we can get through it without a staff assault, or worse.

Thanks Gents. I appreciate it.

What's a "staff assault"?

...and I will keep praying.

howie
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
That would be when an inmate attacks staff. When it happens, they come deep. Never one on one.

Orlando
07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Stay safe my friend

timshufflin
07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Stay safe my friend

Exactly, it sounds like you all have information which leads you to believe that the natives are restless.

jak
07-31-2012, 07:49 PM
More prayers are going out for you and your co-workers

ordmm
07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Worked corrections for 10 years,,,as a maintenance tech supervising inmate work crews. It becomes real obvious that when they want to settle issues they can do it anytime they want. They have alot of time to figure out if you can handle yourself. They usually spend more time working out. They hate. Good luck. Not to sound cold...but if they want to take you out they will and can do it. After 10 years I figured it was not worth the risk. Guess you may have to ask yourself the same question. God won't save you from a crazed inmate. On state issued drugs. Who's doing life for murder. And what they always told us...it's not only the inmates you have to worry about. Be more cautious about the people you work with. Bad occupation if you ask me.

howie
08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
That's the problem....getting it from the top and the bottom. So far, we're holding our ground, staff is tighter than they've been in years.

ordmm
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Quick trip on Google kinda spells it all out. Trapped between the cons, fellow workers, management, politicians and AFSME. State ain't got the money to fund the pensions by all reports. Somethings got to give. Sacrifice will be on the back of the workers. When paybacks start amongst staff it gets ugly. Nothing like a couple of cell phones in the hands of inmates......Good luck, and if you have any, take sick leave.

timshufflin
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Paybacks amongst staff? I'll just be blissful of my ignorance.

cannonshooter
08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Howie,
How did everything work out? I totally understand your situation we are going through it here. Staff shortages more violent inmates due to more lenient drug laws and them getting out of state prison.
Tim, I believe what was meant was givebacks not paybacks. Every contract negotiation almost always requires give backs so the worker almost always looses something they had in a previous contract whether it is the loss of vacation time, the ability for management to change your scheduled shift at a moments notice, having to work a certain number of days for free and the list goes on and on. Pretty soon the worker has nothing left to give back.
Mack

timshufflin
08-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Howie,
How did everything work out? I totally understand your situation we are going through it here. Staff shortages more violent inmates due to more lenient drug laws and them getting out of state prison.
Tim, I believe what was meant was givebacks not paybacks. Every contract negotiation almost always requires give backs so the worker almost always looses something they had in a previous contract whether it is the loss of vacation time, the ability for management to change your scheduled shift at a moments notice, having to work a certain number of days for free and the list goes on and on. Pretty soon the worker has nothing left to give back.
Mack

I would like to know the answer to this, payback or givebacks. If paybacks, this sounds very bad indeed. If givebacks, all the things you listed sound exactly like the stuff my tax bill needs. Don't get me wrong though, prison guards, police, and parole agents are about the only public officials that I am happy to pay my taxes for. Enforcing the law is something that a private company cannot be entrusted with.

howie
08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I feel better now than I did last week about the situation, although things can change in a heartbeat. The issues I posted about had nothing to do with our contract negotiations, and everything to do with how to run a facility designed for 750 that now holds almost 2200, how to man posts with almost 20% less staff than we used to have, and how to balance security with all the programs we have to run throughout the day. It also had to do with how you get a bunch of late teen and early 20-something probie correctional officers to understand that a badge doesn't make you indestructible and this is a prison full of really bad people, and they don't give a shit if you go home at the end of the day or not.

As for our contract, the question isn't if we're going to give back, but how much.

timshufflin
08-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I feel better now than I did last week about the situation, although things can change in a heartbeat. The issues I posted about had nothing to do with our contract negotiations, and everything to do with how to run a facility designed for 750 that now holds almost 2200, how to man posts with almost 20% less staff than we used to have, and how to balance security with all the programs we have to run throughout the day. It also had to do with how you get a bunch of late teen and early 20-something probie correctional officers to understand that a badge doesn't make you indestructible and this is a prison full of really bad people, and they don't give a shit if you go home at the end of the day or not.

As for our contract, the question isn't if we're going to give back, but how much.

Regarding the "trouble", I'm glad to hear that you think you all have a handle on it. That is outstanding news! Regarding "give backs", I'm sure that the private sector in this country can identify with that one. I can only hope that your contract goes well for all the people of Illinois.