PDA

View Full Version : Greek Black Win-13

dpd3672
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
I was able to pick up a couple of the Win-13s from the CMP before they sold out. They're nice looking guns, but unfortunately, they're deep Greek Black. How close do you think you could get them to the original finish, appearance wise?

I'm toying with the idea, once I get a few more parts to correct them (need 2 barrels, 2 straight cut op rods, and 2 rear sights, the rest of the parts I had on hand).

timshufflin
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I have no idea sir on how well I can make the rifles look compared to original. I say this because we only see 50+ year old rifles with original finish. That finish does not look today like it did 50+ years ago. We think Winchesters were maganese, some say some sort of dulite. I have maganese but the exact concentration of chemical for any rifle parked changed when the very next batch of rifles were parked. This means that the color of the rifle changed slightly when the next piece of steel went down.

You will hear folks say that WRA's were black as the ace of spades. You will hear others say that they have seen medium gray examples. Well, both those colors fall into the spectrum of maganese.