PDA

View Full Version : Build Question

melloman
08-19-2012, 02:47 PM
How difficult is it to build an AR-15?

canes7
08-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I've done lowers and they are no problem. I have not done any uppers yet but people much dumber than I am have done it without any issues, so you should be OK.

Orlando
08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Build or assemble??
If you are buying the upper with barrel installed and just assembling the rest its only slightly more involved than a Garand but if I can do it anyone can
There are several good online videos that can walk you through it step by step
After you do it a few times its a breeze, just alot of small detents, roll pins and springs to keep track of

melloman
08-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Build (install barrel to receiver) vs. assemble from barreled receiver. Any special tools, etc?

awpk03s
08-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Build (install barrel to receiver) vs. assemble from barreled receiver. Any special tools, etc?

You need an action block to chuck up the upper receiver in a vise. You will need a barrel nut wrench, and a torque wrench.

Building an AR (including the entire upper) or just assembling one, is easy for anyone with basic hand tool skills.

Rush2112
08-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Legos for adults.

some build, some assemble.
either way, fun stuff :-)

Orlando
08-25-2012, 06:16 AM
I used to have the tools and would lend them to ya but they are long gone

LEAD POISON
08-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I havn't attached a barrel,but have assembled all else.
There's a couple of tricky detent springs,but take your time,drink a beer.
If I can do it,NUF SAID.

dogboysdad
08-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Wear safety glasses. The little springs are dangerous.

grumpyoldretiredcop
09-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I've taken the Colt Armorer's course and been an armorer for my former agency, in the process I've built and rebuilt one or two ARs. It's not terribly hard if you pay attention to detail and have hand tool skills. You'll find that either buying or making a flat sided punch will make installing the bolt stop roll pin easier. That, a combination wrench, set of roll pin and standard punches and an upper vise block will get you by. A torque wrench is nice, but not absolutely required. I can't put 85 ft-lbs. on a standard combination wrench (and I'm a pretty big guy), and as long as you can put at least 35 ft-lbs. of torque on the barrel nut and line it up correctly, you're good. Use care and support the "ears" on the lower receiver when installing the trigger guard roll pin, they're easy to break if you don't.

kimber 22
09-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Patrick Sweeney wrote a book on gunsmithing AR's that has a lot of good information, especially as to why some builds go wrong. I think it is available from Gun Digest books.