PDA

View Full Version : new guy contemplating converting from 1953 vintage to a Mini-G

masakari
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
hello, I am new to this site but not to shooting. What brings me here is my grandfather's old Garand, and my interest in Tim Shuff's work.
My Grandfather bought this rifle in the 1980s, and gave it to my father, who in turn gave it to me. He fought in WWII as a Halftrack Engineer, and this rifle meant alot to him, though it is NOT the actual rifle that he used. It is a 1953 vintage Springfield Armory M1 Garand, in fair condition, with some matching parts. It shoots, but has occasional premature clip ejections and some accuracy issues. This has not been too much of a problem because it has been mostly a wall hanger, but lately I have been considering sending it off for a more modern conversion so that it is more useful, and fun. Primary uses would be hunting and practical shooting.
What I am contemplating is the Mini-G conversion with Ultimak rail. I think that I would like to keep it clip fed, .30-06, and with the standard stock that it currently wears. I would want to be able to use a wide variety of ammunition, like I can with my SOCOM16. In a sense, it would be similar to my SOCOM16 which is pictured below. I plan on putting an Aimpoint PRO on it, as well as a Surefire flashlight in Gear Sector offset mount, so that both the SOCOM and Garand would be set up similarly. Ths sling on the Garand would be a Tucker 1907 style instead of the VCAS though.
So what do you guys think? Is it a crime to modernize such a historical piece?
By the way, im from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but currently live in Western Michigan. If anyone has one of Mr. Shuff's rifles in the area that I could check out I would be very thankful.
Semper Fi!
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-06-28_20-40-48_806.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/2012-08-22_17-45-43_39.jpg

Prince Humperdink
08-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the forum!It is not a "crime" because it is YOUR rifle now.Personally,if it were Me I would get another field grade and modify it because that's how Grandpa had this one,but that is just Me.

axemurderer
08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
masakari

I agree with His Grace. I love the Garand, but have two Mini-G and two full length. However If the G is what you want by all means go ahead!

Mike

masakari
08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, getting another rifle is out of the question due to funds and space. The only way that i could afford these two is because they were gifts from my father.
So this is and will be the only one. I am thinking that I will do the conversion, but it will have to wait a bit until the funds are available. My seasonal job is over in a week, and I'm waiting on the State Police to start an academy.

Orlando
08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, whatever you decide Ole Tim is the go to guy for your project