PDA

View Full Version : Planning for a Mini-G

awpk03s
08-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I am new to getting into Garands, made my first CMP Store trip about a month ago and am saving up for another. Currently, the Garand I have is being saved for a surprise gift for my dad when he retires. I am planning for what I want for myself though, and I am really intrigued by the Mini-G. The Garand is heavy... and I love it, but I can definitely see the appeal in a shorter, lighter better balanced carbine option.

I am considering to have Shuff build mine in 30-06 for use with standard en-bloc clips (as I have a ton of the clips and a stash of -06 ammo already), in a Dupage walnut stock, with a SEI flash hider and SEI tritium bar front sight and maybe a new Criterion barrel (instead of cut down GI) - undecided on that.

I would like to have a general purpose rifle, informal targets, hunting, defensive capable, etc. I think a Mini-G would be the cat's behind for that.

I am still going to pick up a standard M1 Garand (or TWO) to shoot and keep in the safe as well.

I have read about every thread here so far as a lurker. Any additional feedback anyone would care to offer based on their experience with a Mini-G would be much appreciated! So - please do tell about these rifles... and if you have one, please show a picture!

Looking for feedback on reliability.... accuracy.... and general effective range with iron sights? I'm not concerned about recoil. The flash hider should HELP with the muzzle flash, which I understand will still likely be significant. I'm a little worried about the adjustable gas screw - all of the ammo I will shoot is either M2 ball, or M1-safe handloads. I don't want to have to be adjusting it all the time, or re-setting it up every time I shoot it. And I don't want it to shoot loose either. These are probably all petty concerns just because I have no experience with them.

Thanks!

timshufflin
08-24-2012, 07:57 PM
If you don't give the rifle enough gas, it will be unreliable. If you give it to much, it will have harsher recoil and possibly cycle faster than the follower can lift the rounds.

These factoids stand true far a standard Garand as well. If you are only going to feed a G standard Garand ammo, it too can be run with a standard gas screw in most instances.

awpk03s
08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
If you are only going to feed a G standard Garand ammo, it too can be run with a standard gas screw in most instances.

That's good to know! Thanks Tim.

Have you ever put one of the SEI tritium bar front sight blades on a Mini-G? Is it too wide that it messes with the sight picture?

Ride
08-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm a new Mini-G owner and have tried three different front sight posts, standard / .110 fiber / NM .065. I'd recommend the NM post if you are going to do any distance shooting. As to range, I'm iron sights only with mediocre eyesight and can consistently hit 6' or so at 200 and 10' out to 300 inconsistently (can barely see the target :-). I think it's great. check out my recent range post for more details.

As to the adjustable gas, I'm about 250 rounds in and nothing's loose so far. . . .

awpk03s
08-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks. From what I've researched, the SEI tritium bar is like .09, which is less than the fiber, but significantly more than the standard or NM. I will have to think it over I guess. I like having an OPTION on the rifle for low light shooting, but don't want to totally handicap my distance capability - although, I probably won't shoot at very long distances anyway given my choices of options here in Ohio.