PDA

View Full Version : Single Loading

mixmaster
09-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Just read an article by a noted M1 guru/master. He stated that loading single rounds in an M1 are a potential disaster waiting to happen to the fire arm or the shooter. What got to me was he was adamant about the danger in this loading method. I was shooting on an AF rifle team since 1956 an never was I allowed to fire the National Match by loading an 8 round clip for the off hand part nor for the 600 yd prone! Doing so would likely get you tossed off the firing line. I do recall the M14 used the mag as a loading platform but the rounds were inserted in the chamber as the M1s were. I never saw any ones gun blow up. It is amazing what these guys can come up with to prove they are more in tune to the M1 Garand than common folks like the rest of us. Now go ahead and jump on this, I am sure some one will justify the statements about the danger. The rest of us will plow on in our ignorance
Bingo

timshufflin
09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Mix, you are preaching to the fire. Something "could" happen, you "could" tempt fate. Well, I could get a hit by a care going to the mailbox and have a much better chance of that happening than this single round nonsense.

jak
09-05-2012, 06:52 PM
If this guy doesn't offer any solid evidence to back his statement, then it's just a valueless opinion. Do you have the link to the article ?

Roadkingtrax
09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I just let the bolt go half way,...such was the advice of Gus Fisher on Jouster and other boards. Whatever it takes to get the extractor to override the case, which is not much bolt travel.

I think reloaded ammunition is the larger culprit of firing line accidents. Too much powder, high primers...and the last match I shot at in August, the guy next to me had a squib round. It would of been a bad day for him...and possibly me had he of tried to fire another round. The squib round had no powder loaded in it at all!!!

canes7
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I've single loaded thousands of rounds. HXP, LC, handloads.... never a problem. If you do it wrong, you *MAY* have an issue. If you do it right you have lesser chance of having an issue. Doing it right is easy.

Orlando
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I've single loaded thousands of rounds. HXP, LC, handloads.... never a problem. If you do it wrong, you *MAY* have an issue. If you do it right you have lesser chance of having an issue. Doing it right is easy.

Yup.........

Prince Humperdink
09-05-2012, 11:00 PM

As have I.