PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Do About Springsteen?

Punch The Clown
09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
I grew up on Springsteen. Incredible talent, awesome performer, but listening to him singing at the dnc it's going to be hard to keep listening to him.

dpd3672
09-07-2012, 01:36 AM
In the same boat. He's absolutely my favorite, but I can't stand his politics. I just try to separate one from the other. There are a few lib celebrities that I overlook their irritating opinions because I like their work...Alec Baldwin on SNL and 30 Rock come to mind.

Actually, I really can't stand ANY celebrity voicing opinions on politics, even the ones I agree with. Ted Nugent is a great musician, and I agree with 99% of what he says, but the "in your face" bit wears on my nerves.

And in conclusion, I'd like to add that "Thunder Road" is the best rock song ever written, and if you haven't seen it performed live, you really don't know what you're missing...

Prince Humperdink
09-07-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm lucky,I despise His politics,and His voice.

timshufflin
09-07-2012, 05:24 AM
springsteen? The way I spell its name says it all. I give it my Christmas wish.

dpd3672
09-07-2012, 06:20 AM
A small confession here, which will almost certainly earn the contempt of the Conservatives, but a shrug from the Springsteen fans. In 2004, I volunteered to work the John Kerry rally in Detroit, on the night before the election, just because Bruce was scheduled to appear.

He was a no show, but I did get to hang out in the staging area and rub elbows with a few celebs. Stevie Wonder smiled at me...I swear. Al Sharpton tried rushing past me without acknowledging me, so I made sure to step in front of him and say, "Hello, sir!" with a big smile on my face. He gave me a scowl like he walked in on me raping his daughter (or Twanna Brawley...all white cops probably look alike). It was, by far, the high point of the night.

Several months later, Bruce released the "Devils and Dust" album, a solo, all-acoustic effort on the same night he opened his tour in Detroit, at the Fox Theater (one of his best albums, in my opinion, and certainly the best in maybe 20 years).

It was the first date on the tour, the first time anyone would hear these songs, and The Fox is my favorite venue, so I absolutely had to get tickets. I let a scalper gouge me for an amount I'm embarrassed to even admit here, and made plans to impress my new girlfriend with what a high roller I was. At the last minute, she had to cancel (a relative out of town died). So I took my sister...on the most expensive date of my life, to this day.

timshufflin
09-07-2012, 06:29 AM
A small confession here, which will almost certainly earn the contempt of the Conservatives, but a shrug from the Springsteen fans. In 2004, I volunteered to work the John Kerry rally in Detroit, on the night before the election, just because Bruce was scheduled to appear.

He was a no show, but I did get to hang out in the staging area and rub elbows with a few celebs. Stevie Wonder smiled at me...I swear. Al Sharpton tried rushing past me without acknowledging me, so I made sure to step in front of him and say, "Hello, sir!" with a big smile on my face. He gave me a scowl like he walked in on me raping his daughter (or Twanna Brawley...all white cops probably look alike). It was, by far, the high point of the night.

Several months later, Bruce released the "Devils and Dust" album, a solo, all-acoustic effort on the same night he opened his tour in Detroit, at the Fox Theater (one of his best albums, in my opinion, and certainly the best in maybe 20 years).

It was the first date on the tour, the first time anyone would hear these songs, and The Fox is my favorite venue, so I absolutely had to get tickets. I let a scalper gouge me for an amount I'm embarrassed to even admit here, and made plans to impress my new girlfriend with what a high roller I was. At the last minute, she had to cancel (a relative out of town died). So I took my sister...on the most expensive date of my life, to this day.

springsteens music is lovely, but WHY would anyone put even one dollar in the pocket of a communist? I want the communist to starve and find a nice ditch to die in.

dpd3672
09-07-2012, 06:45 AM
springsteens music is lovely, but WHY would anyone put even one dollar in the pocket of a communist? I want the communist to starve and find a nice ditch to die in.

I bought the tickets from a scalper...essentially, I supported capitalism in its purest form (albeit illegally).

Also, FWIW, I try to steal as much music as I can, haha...

timshufflin
09-07-2012, 07:03 AM
I bought the tickets from a scalper...essentially, I supported capitalism in its purest form (albeit illegally).

Also, FWIW, I try to steal as much music as I can, haha...

Amen to that, I'm sick like that. I try and steal the music of the commie and purchase my Kings of Leon.

dpd3672
09-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Amen to that, I'm sick like that. I try and steal the music of the commie and purchase my Kings of Leon.

Did you happen to see the Kings of Leon documentary that was running on cable a few months back? HBO or Showtime, it was pretty good.

timshufflin
09-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Did you happen to see the Kings of Leon documentary that was running on cable a few months back? HBO or Showtime, it was pretty good.

Yes I did sir.

Punch The Clown
09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I have to segregate his music from politics-that's it. Too many memories with Springsteen attached to them. Anyway, he recently gave an interview where he said his involvement in politics was ignited by the Bush's, he did campaign for ubammah in 2008, but he isn't going to campaign for him in this election. Made me feel a little better.

howie
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
I love his music (the older stuff), can't stand his politics. Only saw him once, in St. Louis a couple years ago. He played for 4 1/2 hours. Awesome show, and well worth the money to see him. Relax, Shuffypoo....my vote will cancel his out.

Punch The Clown
09-07-2012, 08:07 AM
But the E-Street Band will never be the same.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/Stumedic/6a00d83451b26169e2015433236bc8970c-.jpg

RIP Clarence

axemurderer
09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
OK guys we all know springsteen is an untalented dick. he also know less about Chevys the BHO. Just listen to racing in the streets. But Mr. Tim as to him being a communist I must disagree, anyone who has ever driven by his house in Rumsen would know he is not a communist. He just wants everyone else to be. I hate him with all my heart and always have even before I knew his politics. Fuelie heads on a 396 indeed!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Punch The Clown
09-07-2012, 08:17 AM
OK guys we all know springsteen is an untalented dick. he also know less about Chevys the BHO. Just listen to racing in the streets. But Mr. Tim as to him being a communist I must disagree, anyone who has ever driven by his house in Rumsen would know he is not a communist. He just wants everyone else to be. I hate him with all my heart and always have even before I knew his politics. Fuelie heads on a 396 indeed!!!!!!!!!

Mike

He said that? Everyone knows fuelies will not fit on a rat!

axemurderer
09-07-2012, 08:27 AM
He said that? Everyone knows fuelies will not fit on a rat!

Stu my friend, just listen. It's there for all the world to hear!!!!!!

dpd3672
09-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I have to segregate his music from politics-that's it. Too many memories with Springsteen attached to them. Anyway, he recently gave an interview where he said his involvement in politics was ignited by the Bush's, he did campaign for ubammah in 2008, but he isn't going to campaign for him in this election. Made me feel a little better.

Hell, if Arlo Guthrie can see the light, I've got hope for The Boss.

"I became a registered Republican about five or six years ago because to have a successful democracy you have to have at least two parties, and one of them was failing miserably. We had enough good Democrats. We needed a few more good Republicans. We needed a loyal opposition."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26fob-q4-t.html

Big Ben
09-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I dumped Bruce years ago. It hurt, but I did it.
We spent a ALOT of time together back in my youger days too, figureatively of course.

Prince Humperdink
09-08-2012, 06:19 PM
We spent a ALOT of time together back in my youger days too, figureatively of course.
Posters,bedsheets, pinups,and a cassette player of course?!!

Punch The Clown
09-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Stone Pony?

axemurderer
09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Stone Pony?

Stu

Why would you see bruce at the Stone Pony when so many good bands played there???????

Mike

Punch The Clown
09-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Stu

Why would you see bruce at the Stone Pony when so many good bands played there???????

Mike

Hater.....

Prince Humperdink
09-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Stu

Mike

Right on brother!

axemurderer
09-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Hater.....

Thank you!!!!!! And when I say better I mean better Joan Jett, Souty Side, Lone Justice, BOC, I think I might have seen Aerosmith play there during the down period, ECT, ECT,ECT..........

Prince Humperdink
09-09-2012, 06:51 PM
there is a springsteen song on right now...I just threw up a bit in my mouth.