PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question...

Prince Humperdink
09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I was just setting here pondering something in my pea sized brain,so I thought I would ask.If You had a barrel that had excessive TE,and you were to shave the shoulder,lengthen the threads to match,and ream the barrel,would this improve your TE numbers?I was just thinking that if you would move the face of the chamber forward you would bring it closer to the rifling.I know that wear can be uneven from the hot gases,but would it,in theory anyway,bring a"barrel with a good ME number back into usefulness?I know barrels are relatively inexpensive,but my mind is always looking for ways to use "every drop"of an item's lifespan.
Ryan

Phil McGrath
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
No, the chamber or I should say the throat is still worn out.

canes7
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Think about the Italian .308 Garands. Didn't they do a similar thing to what you are suggesting to convert 30-06 to .308? And yes, it would help with the TE. You've have to real with op-rod issues and stock issues too I would think.

cuppednlocked
09-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Interesting!

With the Garand would that also make a change to the length of the follower rod/spring or op rod necessary? How about the size of gas port?

You guys type fast...

timshufflin
09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Oprod would change, maybe the oprod spring, nothing else. Sometimes, the oprod spring can also remain the same length.

ordmm
09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Think the bolt rifle guys used to do the set back thing....so can't see why you could not do it to a M1. Guess whoever did it would have to work pretty cheap to make it pay. You would have to figure in what a total turn of the barrel is to make the timing come out right. Op rod mod would have to be factored in, cut back and new tip. Guess you would have to cut the butt stock back if you shortened it at the chamber end. Rear handguard would need to be cut....Hey, it's sounding like a TYPO 2 Italian rework!......Now I have a headache and need to take relief.

howie
09-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Interesting theory, Ryan!

musketjon
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Excluding all of the other factors (op rod, spring, stock, etc., etc), to answer the OP's original question, the short answer is "Yes".
Jon

timshufflin
09-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Excluding all of the other factors (op rod, spring, stock, etc., etc), to answer the OP's original question, the short answer is "Yes".
Jon

Good point on stock, I'm thinking of this strictly from a metal parts point of view. The stock and rear guard would change as well.

Prince Humperdink
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies.Yes,I had already figured the wood and op rod into all of this because I am aware of the Italian mod.I was only wondering how much You'd have to shave off for say,1 number on the gage,and so on?

canes7
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies.Yes,I had already figured the wood and op rod into all of this because I am aware of the Italian mod.I was only wondering how much You'd have to shave off for say,1 number on the gage,and so on?

My guess would be that it depends on how much wear is there to start with. If you've got a boatload of freebore due to wear you may not see any gains at all because the lands are just oo far out. If you have a minor amount of wear, you'll be more likely to see improvement. I would think the amount of metal you'd need to remove is determined by rotations, not wear. You'll only be able to take off one full turn, or two full turns...etc. so that the gas cyl. grooves, gas port hole..etc. still line up.

I'm thinking one full turn on those huge threads will be substantial. How did the Italians do it?

Prince Humperdink
09-11-2012, 12:44 PM

I'm thinking one full turn on those huge threads will be substantial. How did the Italians do it?

They removed a 1/2 inch and recut threads,and face.The stock was then modified by removing 1/2 from the front,then the rear handguard,op rod,and I would suspect(as Tim stated) the spring may or may not be.I still have some modified parts and a couple low ME,high TE barrels but no means to cut them down and recut threads...just my brain blowing off a bit of dust :)

The Garand Guy
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
My opinion has always been that the Italians (my paisans) did the wrong thing by shortening the 30-06 barrels to 7.62 Nato. To avoid buying a new barrel (about $12 at the time), they bought themselves $100 worth of extra work, and they screwed up the supply system. I ordered some BM59 stocks from Numrich, and they sent me full-length ones.
My 2-cents worth: buy a new barrel & be done with it.
Tony Giacobbe, The Garand Guy & Cousin Guido